For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
henryaaron's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Thursday, July 27th, 2017 7:50 PM

2G Sunset Laments

Until January of this year I swore by AT&T. I remember when AT&T towers were ‘elastic,’ and I would be driving on the highway, out of coverage (as per other passengers service indicators, same iPhone 4(s) or whatever it was at the time), but AT&T refused to drop the call. I can say with confidence that I went years without once losing a call. AT&T would report itself the most reliable iPhone carrier and I would testify.

Since January, I have not had three completed calls in a row, maybe not even two. I have now spent a significant portion of my life apologizing for dropping the call. And I know it’s not only me, it’s everybody at home (4 or so iPhones and 2 Androids). Since Unlimited Data, the 4G network does not work, the LTE network is not always available.

I now know Verizon is better, but it doesn’t have coverage in my house in Brooklyn. I’m not particularly interested in any discount operators.

What kind of qualified technical advice or independent advice can somebody give me? I just want to know that this will eventually come to end.

Has AT&T brought their 700MHz network back online? Are they doing anything else to improve reliability at the moment? Do they acknowledge the issue? Do I need an iPhone 7 or 7s (I don’t really want one, I have a 6s).

If you’re experiencing this as well, add your comments. Let’s get some attention from AT&T. Maybe they should put the 3G network back, I always held it in high regard, it was years ahead of the other carriers.

Everything I loved about AT&T is disappearing. Knowledgeable, American customer service professionals, unchallenged reliability and speed.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@henryaaron wrote:
I now know Verizon is better, but it doesn’t have coverage in my house in Brooklyn. I’m not particularly interested in any discount operators.

I understand about what you're saying about the lack of 2G causing some coverage issues.

I don't understand how you consider Verizon better if you don't have coverage at home, which is where (I'd think) you'd want it to work quite often. What makes it better?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Street coverage. Street coverage is as much of an issue for me right now as home coverage. I can do Wi-Fi calling at home. But really, I don’t want to leave, I’m not in contract, just all of the years of great coverage still tip the scale in AT&T’s favor. So what about AT&T?

Also, I want to add that I have had to turn on VoLTE which I previously kept off, after this transition. I now get that digitalized obfuscation of the phone call every minute, so I just say “what?” like a parrot.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Also, my sister who lives in the same area left for Verizon. She said her problems are gone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

7 years ago

Verizon is also set to turn off 2G in the next 2 years.  But their coverage is already not what it used to be in CT.   My coverage at home degraded again about a month ago, so I put a line on Verizon to see if it made a difference.  Not a bit.   Verizon is just as lousy at my home and just as fast pretty much everywhere else.  Neck and Neck.  I had already bought a booster.  Now I bought a microcell.  Problem solved.  And it won't cost me another $50 a month to switch to Verizon.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

I heard about Verizon.

Without any real scientific knowledge on the matter, I think that experience is a factor in cell networks. Like AT&T had the iPhone for the longest, so they were more reliable than Verizon with that device. When two years comes and Verizon is just starting to operate without 2G, I’m sure AT&T will once again have reliability over Verizon because of their two extra years’ experience.

With that said, I’m trying to be patient but it’s been six months since I’ve had these issues. I’m beginning to wonder if anybody is paying them any mind. The service for me is almost unusable.

On your Verizon comment, it seems to me that issues came up on all the networks with the switch back to unlimited data. But my local family members on Verizon have no complaints.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

7 years ago

You gotta do what you gotta do.  Who knows what 2 years will bring.   

From my understanding 2G was long range, 3G less, and LTE less.  Voice over LTE is new technology., maybe it will improve. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@henryaaron wrote:
I heard about Verizon.

Without any real scientific knowledge on the matter, I think that experience is a factor in cell networks. Like AT&T had the iPhone for the longest, so they were more reliable than Verizon with that device. When two years comes and Verizon is just starting to operate without 2G, I’m sure AT&T will once again have reliability over Verizon because of their two extra years’ experience.

With that said, I’m trying to be patient but it’s been six months since I’ve had these issues. I’m beginning to wonder if anybody is paying them any mind. The service for me is almost unusable.

On your Verizon comment, it seems to me that issues came up on all the networks with the switch back to unlimited data. But my local family members on Verizon have no complaints.

A phone is a phone no matter who makes it...  They have almost the same radios and its about antenna placement in the phone.  The 3g network is still alive on att what the heck to you think 4g is.  They started calling 3g 4g when 4g LTE was released.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

A phone may be a phone but not all networks are the same. AT&T 3G was actually HSPA I believe and 4G was HSPA+. I am not sure but I think I heard something about an HSPA phaseout.

Regardless, 4G at home was once blissful. Here’s what it looks like today:
https://vimeo.com/227342147

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have the same problems! I don't understand what's happening! Service coverage used to be great! Now it's just TERRIBLE! I can't wait to pay off our phones and switch to verizon. It's unreal how awful it is. I get ZERO service when I'm in certain spots at work, or one bar in the 10 block radius of my work. And it does not have to do with our building because Verizon users have full service. It's ridiculous.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Keep it going! The theme of this thread is, locations that used to have great service, do not anymore. The goal is to have AT&T get on with fixing it. Not an attack on AT&T, I on the other hand, do not want to leave.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.