Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
RolandW's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, May 25th, 2017 12:44 PM

Not receiving texts on Gophone iPhone because of iMessage

How can I make sure I receive texts on an unlocked iPhone that I am using with AT&T's pay-as-you-go (Gophone) service? Currently, I can't receive text messages when I'm out of range of wifi because other people's iPhones automatically try to use iMessage when sending to me. I've read that you can "de-register" a cell number through Apple, but all of the articles are about a situation where the user is switching from an iPhone to another type of device. I am keeping my iPhone, but simply don't want other people's iPhones to default to iMessage when they try to text me.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Unfortunately, you can't control their phones. They need to have "send as SMS" turned on. With that on, their phones are supposed to revert to SMS if the iMessage is not delivered. The only other thing you can do is turn iMessage off. With iMessage off, their phones should not even attempt to send as an iMessage.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks. I thought that "de-registering" a cell number with Apple does, in a way, control how other people's messages behave when they try to send an iMessage to the de-registered number. If that's not the case, then what is de-registering good for?

I wish iMessage had never been invented.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Actually, turning iMessage off in settings does deregister you. The instructions for deregistering on Apple.com is for people who no longer have their phones and can't do it from the phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Oh, I see. So do I have to turn off iMessage on all my Apple devices to accomplish the de-registration?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I don't think turning iMessage off on all your devices is required but that will certainly do the trick. You just need to ensure none of those other devices are using your phone number as an iMessage address. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Reason I asked is that when I told my wife (who's having the same problem) about it she said she had tried turning iMessage off on her iPhone and it didn't help. She does have an iPad that still had iMessage active, however. We've turned iMessage off on all our devices and we'll see what happens. Thanks much for your help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.