Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
tincan's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 19th, 2017 10:35 PM

I recently (Jan 2017) switched my iphones (3 iPhones) to gophone service.

First and foremost the gophone service does work. What doesn't work if you are use to using Apple texting forgetaboutit!  The texting ONLY works with AT&T texting. Further, DO NOT even consider using the texting feature with real time ... that is within a few minutes of sending text.  I have had texts that have arrived HOURS LATER!  The phone (traditional) service is excellent! I have checked with other "retirees" that I know and they have had similar complaints.  Whatever "excuses" that the salespeople provide and merely noise.  The service on balance is poor.  I will be changing carriers shortly.  Sorry AT&T (and I'm a stockholder) but after 40 years I'm leaving.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

iMessage requires data to work.  If you chose a Gophone plan without data, it would not work.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Well that bit of information wasn’t shared at the time of changing the service. The world wouldn’t have stop if we couldn’t use iMessage, however it would have changed our decision. The second issue is the responsiveness of the AT&T text service. Recently my wife had to traffic back to CT and when she reached the Airport we Texted a friend re: her arrival. The message appeared hours later, long after our friend had picked her up. The type of unreliability is totally unacceptable especially when we were use to iMessage and the responsiveness of Apple’s service (i understand that data is necessary), that said, when someone is changing service from a full service using an iPhone to Gophone this information should be immediately shared with the customer. I personally went through many customer service calls, finally a very share service representative informed me that the preferences on the iPhone need to be changed. After changing the preferences, of course the texting worked; but the full features we were used to using went away. When we are in a wi-fi area … we must change the preferences. The GoPhone service marketing needs some clarification. Unfortunately we had to learn the hard way and will be changing.

Guru

• 

561 Messages

7 years ago

Just note that if you use iMessage, you will need data if you text outside of your home or wifi areas.  It does not matter which carrier you decide to go to, the data requirement is due to iMessage not ATT, goPhone or any other carrier.  If you have a plan that has unlimited texting there would be no reason not to use the carrier text system.  It does not matter whether it is ATT, Verizon, TMobile or Sprint, text messages from carriers go through without data within seconds. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@tincan

iMessage is an Apple feature.  If you own an iPhone you should know how it works.  

The $30 plan comes with talk and text only.  

If your wife flew into Bradley Airport, it has great ATT reception.  I live 20 minutes away, and flew out on Feb 20 and back in on Feb 28.  I had no problem contacting my son by text for a pick up.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.