For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ROA8634's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, August 1st, 2015 7:08 PM

Will ATT upgrade to support 4k broadcasts?

What are ATT's plans and schedule for upgrading their systems to support UVerse broadcast and internet broadcasts of 4k quality programming and videos?  I suggest ATT move in that direction soon before losing customers.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

Has anyone else done it? What shows/networks are in 4K?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@ROA8634 wrote:

What are ATT's plans and schedule for upgrading their systems to support UVerse broadcast and internet broadcasts of 4k quality programming and videos?  I suggest ATT move in that direction soon before losing customers.

Soon?  It's been stated there will not be much 4K programming until late 2016 or into 2017.  This is a very expensive production upgrade to go to 4K HD.

So, ATT has plenty of time to come up w/something to accomodate this. 

Personally I think this is much ado about nothing after reading a 4K HD test that showed no difference between that and a regular HD set, except at 2' from the screen.  Regualr viewing distance they were pretty equal.  I'm sure not gonna run out and buy a 4K HD set anytime soon. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

It's like when TV channels went from SD to HD...it took a while because of operating costs, equipment purchases, etc...

I don't think the TV channels are in any rush to go out and upgrade all their stuff, especially after just upgrading all their stuff.

Scholar

• 

223 Messages

9 years ago

@ROA8634 wrote:

I suggest ATT move in that direction soon before losing customers.

Oh really?  We just upgraded from SD to HD which took ten years after the first HD broadcasts on TV and now you expect U-verse to upgrade to 4K "soon?"

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

9 years ago

@ROA8634 wrote:

Losing customer because of no 4K HD programming?  I seriously doubt that.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

@ROA8634 wrote:

Oh really?  We just upgraded from SD to HD which took ten years after the first HD broadcasts on TV and now you expect U-verse to upgrade to 4K "soon?"

Actually HD broadcasts were on longer than that.  Law & Order (ER the same in 1994) filmed the whole series in HD starting in 1990, remember the black bars above and below on SD TVs? Smiley Surprised

Chris

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

@ROA8634 wrote:

Actually HD broadcasts were on longer than that.  Law & Order (ER the same in 1994) filmed the whole series in HD starting in 1990, remember the black bars above and below on SD TVs? Smiley Surprised

Chris

When did Fox start their "Broadcasting in Digital TV" that looked like "digitally" because it was on an SD TV and looked that smudgy? haha.. probably 1998 or 2000 or so? I remember the X-Files doing such.

Still, that's them broadcasting in HD "digital" to SD TVs... as of last I checked, I don't believe anything is broadcasting in 4K to HDTVs.

Scholar

• 

223 Messages

9 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote: Actually HD broadcasts were on longer than that.  Law & Order ( ER the same in 1994) filmed the whole series in HD starting in 1990, remember the black bars above and below on SD TVs? Smiley Surprised

I have no memory of that in the 90s.  The earliest I can recall watching TV with black bars on top and bottom was sometime after the ringing in of the new milenium.  I don't remember exactly when was the first time I saw it but one of my earlier experiences with black bars was in 2002 when MTV aired the first Video Music Awards in HD.  I remember the quality of the live feed had that film look.  Jimmy Fallon was the host and it was when Christina Aguilar annonced that Eminem won the award for Best Male Video and purposely almost dropped his trophy when handing it to him because he earlier made disparaging comments about her.    I also vaguely remebering the first "Saturday Night Live" broadcast in HD with black bars in 2005.  Steve Carell was the host promoting "The Forty Year Old Virgin."

Shortly after that big day in June 2009 when all U.S. TV stations were required to shut down their analog SD video feeds, I did some research on the Internet and it was my understanding the first ever HD broadcast was in November 1998 when ABC aired "101 Dalmations."

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

9 years ago

SD/HD and 4:3/16:9 are related, but not synonomous.  The same is true of SD/HD and Digital broadcasting.  You can broadcast a 480i signal digitally though you cannot broadcast an HD in analog.

ER, for example, was always recorded in 1.78:1 but broadcast in 4:3/480i for years.  It switched to broadcasting widescreen on digital in 2000.

Scholar

• 

223 Messages

9 years ago

CBS's "Chicago Hope" was another early show broadcast in HD from about 1998 to 2000.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.