For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bobkatbf's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, March 25th, 2011 5:07 PM

Why does it sometimes only record 20 minutes of a 60 minute show?

Why does it sometimes only record 20 minutes of a 60 minute show?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

I have had it happened periodically.  I attributed it to the stb rebooting for some reason.  If it starts happening regularly I suggest you call tech support and have them run a test of your services.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

There is miscommunication between the DVR and RG or your entire system and AT&T servers.  A reboot of the DVR should fix but you may need Tier 2 to do a rip and rebuild. 

Scholar

• 

328 Messages

13 years ago

I just had this happen 3 days ago for the first time in about a year. I was recording Air Emergency and the DVR only recorded the first 16 minutes of the show. Really annoying. My whole system is on a battery back up/surge protector and even so there weren't any power failures. Hope it's not a sign of more glitches to come.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@ram1220 wrote:

I just had this happen 3 days ago for the first time in about a year. I was recording Air Emergency and the DVR only recorded the first 16 minutes of the show. Really annoying. My whole system is on a battery back up/surge protector and even so there weren't any power failures. Hope it's not a sign of more glitches to come.

Can you tell if the power went off?  Battery back up or no, if the VRAD went down, I doubt any signal would make it and even then the battery backup only powers the RG and not the DVR.   Could just be a DVR "oddity" where the show stops recording.  AT&T Tier 2 would most likely like to know about this.

I had noticed that I had more and more oddities like that, DVR only recording partial episodes, black screens of death and so on.  I talked with AT&T labs and he compared the number of total recordings and number of scheduled series on my DVR and on his system and there were hige differences.  Apparently shows and scheduled series are not completely being deleted either on the DVR or on the AT&T servers.  This mismatch apparently was to blame.  The Tier 2 guy recommended a rip and rebuild where all series setups are deleted (and my DVR replaced too).  So far no partial recordings and one BSoD in over 500 recordings plated.  I exited out and went back into the list of recordings and the one BSoD played perfectly.  No rebooting required.  I'd check w/T2 to see what they are show is on your DVR vs. what you have.

Scholar

• 

328 Messages

13 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@ram1220 wrote:

Can you tell if the power went off?  Battery back up or no, if the VRAD went down, I doubt any signal would make it and even then the battery backup only powers the RG and not the DVR.   Could just be a DVR "oddity" where the show stops recording.  AT&T Tier 2 would most likely like to know about this.

I had noticed that I had more and more oddities like that, DVR only recording partial episodes, black screens of death and so on.  I talked with AT&T labs and he compared the number of total recordings and number of scheduled series on my DVR and on his system and there were hige differences.  Apparently shows and scheduled series are not completely being deleted either on the DVR or on the AT&T servers.  This mismatch apparently was to blame.  The Tier 2 guy recommended a rip and rebuild where all series setups are deleted (and my DVR replaced too).  So far no partial recordings and one BSoD in over 500 recordings plated.  I exited out and went back into the list of recordings and the one BSoD played perfectly.  No rebooting required.  I'd check w/T2 to see what they are show is on your DVR vs. what you have.

You know I never thought about the VRAD. It was extremely windy that day and the power here flickered. But none of my equipment rebooted because of my battery backups. Anytime the power flickers or goes out the first thing I always do is say "Oh s***" and look at my equipment and make sure it is still running. I guess it's possible there was a flicker at the VRAD that may have caused it. But don't they have the VRADs on an alternate power supply or backup? If the power went out at the VRAD it defintely didn't show up here in my equipment. Nor did it show an error using UVRT either. I'm just curious.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.