For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
snedharn's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, April 6th, 2014 12:42 AM

Unlock parental controls for 4 hours - how?

New to UVerse, and first day of having it I've been messing around with the parental controls. I was able to set up various restrictions without an issue.

The first time I tried accessing a restricted channel using the new PIN I had set up, I was presented with the option to unlock the individual channel, or "Unlock Free TV for 4 hours". Despite the weird phrasing, I took this to mean that I could temporarily disable parental controls for 4 hours, perfect for nighttime viewing.

However, since that first time that option has never been presented, and I have been completely unable to find it in any menus. The only thing I can do now is unlock channels one-by-one, which is a horrible interface.

Oddly, I've searched the forums and found some posts complaining about having to unlock channel-by-channel, but nothing about that 4 hour option. Can anyone explain where to find it or how to re-enable it?

And I promise, I really did see it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the continued help -- I finally figured it out! For whatever reason if the "Adult Content" option is set to locked, then you lose the "unlock for 4 hours" option. As soon as I unlocked Adult Content, the "turn off locking" option reappeared in the menu.

This seems like a software bug. But I can explicitly lock the channels that might carry adult content as a workaround for now and still have the convenience of the 4 hour unlock.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

snedharn - I find it under Menu - Options - Parental locking - (enter your PIN) -turn off locking - First item on menu.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

When I go to that menu, there is no "turn off locking" option, just a list of all the various things to turn on and off (purchases, channels, us tv parental guidelines, etc.) on the right side. The only options on the left side are "save" or "change PIN".

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

snedharn - On mine "turn of locking" is between Save & change PIN. When clicked the new menu has the four hour choice as the first item.

Maybe reboot theSTB & RG by a power pull.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

snedharn - Thanks for posting your findings. Another case of overlap of features that is not obvious or explained. When faced with what to do if the free channels have an adult content flag, just hide the ability to open it for four hours,

Too complicated to provide options to allow the four hour feature to include free channels with adult content or not.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.