Explore & discover

Helpful Links

iOS 12 Wifi calling stopped working

Master

iOS 12 Wifi calling stopped working

Upon upgrade to iOS 12 today WIFI calling no longer works.  I checked all the settings and it's configured correctly.  It worked perfectly prior to the upgrade.   The upgrade installed new carrier settings 33.1.   Any tips or is this a bug?

Message 1 of 57
Contributor

Re: iOS 12 Wifi calling stopped working

After doing what I stated above I also power cycled the phone
Message 16 of 57
ACE - Professor

If problem persists, and it is in fact a bug in iOS12, might be worthwhile cross-posting over on Apple's forum.

75/20 Mbps VDSL2 connected Arris BGW210 gateway in IP Passthrough to Orbi RBK50 in Router mode

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 57
ACE - Professor

@Kirk1233 wrote:

I turned WiFi calling off then in again, plus updated my E911 address, and it works. 

After my prior post, I checked my wife's iPhone 6 which was just updated to iOS12 and had gotten new carrier settings.  Lo and behold, Wifi Calling setting was in the off position.  When I turned it on, ATT WiFi would not activate.  I performed reset of network settings, then cycled the WiFi calling switch and eventually got WiFi calling to activate.  Unsure why it was necessary to go through  all these gyrations but at least it's working now.

75/20 Mbps VDSL2 connected Arris BGW210 gateway in IP Passthrough to Orbi RBK50 in Router mode

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 57
Tutor

I'm still having problems after contacting both Apple and ATT. Apparently some folks with ios 12 are having this problem and some aren't. I checked the ATT carrier settings on my phone and they were upgraded to 33.1 when I upgraded to ios 12. My partner at work has ios 12 on his iphone x, has no problems with wi-fi calling, but has carrier settings 33.0.   I wonder if that could be the issue. ATT support was going to check on this.

Message 19 of 57
ACE - Professor

@lbcolen

Can you confirm all steps taken that were posted here?  Reset network settings, ensure WiFi calling is set to on, toggle airplane mode.  From my experience, WiFi signal needs to be stronger than cellular signal for it to kick in.

Message 20 of 57

cellular data off/on (phone off/on, settings off/on), reset network setting, power off/on, hard reset off/on, wifi calling off/on, airplane mode on/wifi only, updated the e911 info (successfully updated the info but still no wifi calling)..

we've tried all combinations that we could think of.  
Message 21 of 57
Tutor

You have to turn off WiFi calling. Turn on airplane mode. Go make a call. It will ask you to turn on WiFi calling. Tap allow, go back and turn off airplane mode. 

Message 22 of 57
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes - I’ve done all the steps short if a factory reset. Im wondering if it’s related to the carrier setting
Message 23 of 57
Master

I have tried all the resets with no resolution.  I have a second iPhone with Verizon that did not have this problem.  I know of at least 7 other people all on AT&T that have the same issue with wifi calling disabled after the upgrade to iOS 12. 

Message 24 of 57
Tutor

Thanks. Just tried that and I’m still not connecting to wi-fi calling.
Message 25 of 57

Tried everything including the full reset. Had to fall back to 11.4.1. It also dropped me back to Carrier AT&T 32.0.1, Wifi calling now working

Message 26 of 57

how do you downgrade from ios 12 back to ios 11.4?
Message 27 of 57
ACE - Professor

Hopefully one of the tech reporting sites will pick up this issue and do a story on it to get some needed attention.

Message 28 of 57
Tutor

When I activate wi fi calling and put my phone on airplane mode and try to make a call the phone i Get a message asking me to connect to a network even though I am already connected to a network

Message 29 of 57
Master

I definitely got new carrier settings when the problem started which I assume AT&T is mostly responsible for.   Apple says to contact AT&T about this but AT&T techs don't have the ability to diagnose this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201270

Message 30 of 57
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support