For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
SuburbanMac's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, October 27th, 2016 2:47 AM

No access to AT&T wi-fi on unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930U)?

I purchased a factory-unlocked S7 (SM-G930U) and had a new SIM made for it at the local AT&T store so that I could migrate from my old Galaxy S4.  It seems that I can no longer access AT&T wi-fi in my office building on the new phone.  I connect to AT&T but am redirected to their wayport login screen instead of being recognized and waved through.  Meanwhile, my old phone connects just fine even without a valid SIM!

After numerous calls to customer service, it seems that in order to use AT&T wi-fi, I must have an AT&T branded phone.  No support for unlocked phones on an AT&T data plan.

Does anyone know if a flash to AT&T ROM (930A) will make the wi-fi work again?  Other options?  If not, I'll need to return this phone and, sigh, get a branded one.  The unlimited, "free", high-speed data in my office is too good to pass up.  Guess I'll have to suffer with bloatware.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@SuburbanMac

its hard coded in the software of the phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Did you add "AT&T smart wifi" app to your phone?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Tried that. Same thing - if it lets me connect to the in-house AT&T wi-fi I just get the wayport sign-in screen as if I wasn't an AT&T customer. I had hoped recognition would be by IMEI or something but beginning to suspect that this is more discrimination against unbranded equipment and that an AT&T ROM is required. Sigh.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Despite having spoken to two different agents who say that my non-AT&T equipment is the reason that my device is not auto-recognized for AT&T wi-fi service, the local company store manager maintains that my device should be recognized with an AT&T SIM and valid account. Does anyone know for sure how device/account auto-recognition works for AT&T wi-fi hotspots?  Not ready to give up yet and return my 930U. (The store manager did confirm that I won't get VoLTE, but I can live with that.)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

I'm no help as I delete or disable the app.  My cable carrier has hot spots too, which require sign in.   I find they are usually congested, so I don't use the service.   I have a non ATT phone ordered.  I will try it and see what Happens. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks, I'll be interested but I am going to return mine while I still can. It seems that iPhone users do not have this problem, presumably due to a more homogenous ROM across carriers.  I have tried at least three service reps, all of whom say it has something to do with the phone not being AT&T equipment.  Dissapointing.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@SuburbanMac wrote:

Thanks, I'll be interested but I am going to return mine while I still can. It seems that iPhone users do not have this problem, presumably due to a more homogenous ROM across carriers.  I have tried at least three service reps, all of whom say it has something to do with the phone not being AT&T equipment.  Dissapointing.

@SuburbanMac

rule of thumb you need a ATT phone to get all the goodies they offer.  I have a s7 active but I am using a pixel xl right now.  I dont get any enhanced LTE services even tho the phone will do it.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I expected that for VoLTE but was surprised by the wi-fi. Thanks for the confirmation.  The thing I find so funny is that I continue to have wifi access on my old S4, even with the SIM removed. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I expected that for VoLTE but was surprised by the wi-fi. Thanks for the confirmation.  The thing I find so funny is that I continue to have wifi access on my old S4, even with the SIM removed. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

That's what I needed confirmation of, thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.