For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Rubycardenas's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, April 10th, 2014 1:51 AM

Hotspots

I'm a uverse internet customer and have currently bought a laptop. I would like to use it at work but they don't provide wifi. If I buy a portable hotspot will it cost me extra to use it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Rubycardenas wrote:
I can't get it thru my wireless because I have unlimited. And my uverse service is the internet which includes att wifi basic. I wouldn't be using it a lot just for homework and reports, stuff like that.

As I mentioned in my previous reply.  If you purchase a wireless hotspot device, you will need to pay for service to be able to use it.  That service can get expensive when you use it a lot, like surfing Google while researching homework, etc.  It is not uncommon to pay $80-100 per month for basic levels of service with those devices, and if you use it heavily, it can go up $15/per GB of data used.  You might be better off to convince your employer to give you access to wifi (or to allow you to setup your own wifi router on their network) than to buy a mobile hotspot.  You could also consider migrating your cellular phone from an unlimited data plan to a mobile share plan where you can use the hotspot feature.  It might not raise your  monthly bill by too much to move to a 10GB shared plan.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

Your hotspot will require some sort of data plan.  If you have  Mobile Share plan for an AT&T cell phone, you can add the hotspot device to that plan.  No matter how you do it,  the data used by the hotspot will be billed somehow, so the more you use it, the more it will cost you.  Also keep i mind that using it for a laptop, it will use a large amount of data rather quickly, especially if youare using it to replace access to wifi service.

Without having more details about your service and plans with AT&T I am fairly certain that it will cost you extra to use a wireless hotspot to give internet access to your laptop at work.  It will probably cost you quite a bit if you will be using it regularly and for any substantial use.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I can't get it thru my wireless because I have unlimited. And my uverse service is the internet which includes att wifi basic. I wouldn't be using it a lot just for homework and reports, stuff like that.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

To simply what GeekBoy said, you will need to pay for a seperate plan for it (the seperate hotspot device)

Most people pick up 5gb for $50, but there's plans larger and smaller if required.

If you want to get complicated, there are limited share plans (to share between your phone/hotspot), that maybe might save some money.

-Alex

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.