For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
iMessage log's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 20th, 2014 11:27 PM

iMessages removed from AT&T usage report....why???

when updating to new 7 version my AT&T text usage log no longer post iMessage numbers. I would like AT&T or Apple to return this feature. Has anyone experienced this problem?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@FallenAnjel wrote:

How does iMessage use Data when it's a Wifi application?  iMessage only uses Data if there is no wifi and it switches over to SMS.    

iMessage is not just a wifi application, it works over wifi or cellular data. Anytime an iMessage is sent or received over cellular data, it will use your cellular data. In cases where iMessage switches to SMS, it does not use cellular data since SMS is sent over the cellular voice network.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

same here mine always showed up too.. were just crazy i guess

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

@T84A wrote:
Mine always showed until just recently. Seems pretty ironic if you guys are saying it never happened.

same here mine always showed up too.. were just crazy i guess

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

OK I agree all of my phone numbers/calls texts etc showed up on usage reprot and now they do not! Sooooooooooooooo I agree that something has changed> obviously it is a at&t issue! 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

so if you want your texts and phone number to show up on your bill you have to enable i message? I am confused

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

If it's the same problem I had, I couldn't see the numbers in the online version of the bill (for certain texts). I compared to my paper bill and discovered those were messages to someone using their iPad and an email address to text (they don't have a smartphone). The paper bill had their email address in place of the phone number c

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I would like you to clarify a few things. I strongly believe this is solely on AT&T. I'm not going to even get into the wifi or different settings with the phone. Let's just simply stick with two people using iPhones and sending iMessages. Neither phone is within wifi range which means the are using cellular data to send iMessages.

First thing I would like to point out, if using cellular data to send and receive, how can you say iMessages don't use AT&T servers? Do you honestly believe Apple is giving everyone free data? Without going any further into that I will give you another way to look at it. Is everyone you send iMessages to using AT&T service? I have a few contacts that use different provider and those numbers show on my bill. Just like the picture iMessage log shared.

I do have another question if anyone could help.

On about the 8th page of my bill it nows says REPRINT in bold letters. Again, I have never noticed until I noticed the missing messages that used to be on the bills.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

The above link is the full scoop on iMessage with iOS 8. If you read all, including the fine print about sending as SMS and incurring carrier charges, it may clear up why iMessage may and may not, show up in carrier records.

iMessages sent through Apple servers, via Apple ID can't possibly show on carrier text records.

The entire purpose of iMessage was to circumvent the cellular system to text between all apple devices*, without impacting limited texting plans. (*iphone, iPod touch, iPad, iMac computers)
In the past 4 years, text plans have become unlimited for many people.
However, for those with home wifi and spotty cell coverage, iMessage is still available.

iMessages, sent in blue bubbles, do not use carrier text service and make very little impact on data services Text messages use an average of 1 KB per message in data service. If you have a kid who sends iMessage a lot, and averages 3,000 texts a month, that adds up to a measly 3 MBs of data. That is assuming all iMessages are sent via mobile data, which is probably not the case.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Houdini09 wrote:
First thing I would like to point out, if using cellular data to send and receive, how can you say iMessages don't use AT&T servers? Do you honestly believe Apple is giving everyone free data? .

IMessages over the cellular data network do not touch any AT&T servers. They simply go over the AT&T wireless network to get to Apple's iMessage servers. So to AT&T, it is simply a data transfer the same as if you are doing web browsing or Facebook or any other data app while on cellular data. The only thing ATT is allowed to do with data is count how much is being used for billing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am very upset that as of Nov. 1, 2015 I cannot see all text or IM on my usage report.  They were all available until then, so IM has been on the usage report along with the phone number.  I want this feature back as well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.