For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
tim horton's profile

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

Saturday, August 27th, 2016 1:36 AM

When on a cruise ship

I have Mobile Shared Value Plan, international pay per use, no cruise ship plan. In order to receive text messages, I guess I have to enable international roaming on the phone and not on airplane mode. With that, will calls and voice mail get through?(don't really want to). I will not initiate any data use, but will I somehow get charges for data roaming due to some background and housekeeping activities?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@tim horton Calls and texts get through with data roaming off. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Evetberry That was the first such event I remember ever being held. You may find this international travel blog of use: https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/International-Travel-amp-Wireless-Service-Top-10-Things-to-Know/ba-p/5473479. Besides that, ATT has plenty of travel information on their website. Go to https://www.att.com/offers/international.html and scroll to the bottom. There are multiple “things to know before you go” links.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

What type of phone do you have? I have an iPhone, my only option is to turn data roaming off. With data roaming off there is no data usage and no data charges but calls and texts can get through. Incoming texts are free. The big issue with calls is that even if you don't answer, you might get charged for a minute of usage. 

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

I have a LG G3. The phone default is roaming off. I previously believe when roaming is off, I can get sms, may be not mms. When I talked to CS today, I was told I have to turn roaming on. I kind of question that. Will calls get through with data roaming off? Any way, I plan to forward all my calls to Google Voice and I can pick up the voice messages when I have wifi.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Prior to this situation I knew nothing of roaming. ATT should include this notification and educate consumers as to their obligations for roaming. This is is not part of the contract notification.  A few days ago I saw that on this Site ATT held a presentation/ informational sessions on what consumers should know before they travel. Was wondering if this was the first session. Added to that , this informational should be public just as their information to get consumers in . Not making what consumers should know before they travel, is dishonest on ATT ‘s behalf

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I certainly appreciate learning of "things to known before you travel"' unfortunately I have already travel and was no aware of these things . Thus a demand bill to 1100.00 dollars. it is reasonable for ATT to have this / these information as part of their contract . also make this information very public . But by not doing so ATT stands to gain so it's not a priority .
I need to have this situation address by the authorities: [Edited to comply with Guidelines] . Att showing their books to make public the number of people trapped in this situation and the millions they make. I hear people say that Att makes nothing that it goes to the cruise ship well if that is so ,ATT has an obigation to notify their customers of what can happen and what they to do. Why would ATT expose their customers to such devastation.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.