Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unwanted texts from mms.cricketwireless.net

Highlighted
Contributor

Unwanted texts from mms.cricketwireless.net

I posted my phone number in a "for sale" ad on craigslist. Got a spam/scam text from 1410100XXX. Fine - I can block one number and move on.   BUT, somehow the scammer messaged many people the same thing, and now I am receiving all the replies to the scammer's original message, all from different 1410X00XXX numbers, with the format FRM:<wireless number>@mms.cricketwireless.net.  This has happened to me twice in the last month.  AT&T should work with Cricket to fix their apparent security loophole.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by tda3082
‎01-15-2019 8:55 AM

Re: Unwanted texts from mms.cricketwireless.net

There is no security loophole, at least not with what you are experiencing. The scammer is simply sending the text through the email to text gateway. They send the text to you through email by sending to "yournumber"@txt.att.net. or "yournumber"@mms.att.net. Cricket has a similar gateway, so when the spam is sent to a Cricket number and they reply, it is like replying to all on an email. Your best defense is to forward the spam to text to "spam". Hopefully ATT will block the original sender from using the gateway.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7
Contributor

Thanks for the explanation. It may not be a security issue per se but I feel like the carriers should mitigate this kind of anonymous mass texting.

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Sage

@tda3082

They do.  Group text is limited to 10.   The rest is up the the user.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Contributor

I just received 7 and the other today 17. They say they are from a google group but I have never joined a google group. I did place an ad on craigslist. There is a unsubscribe email that I used but still got a couple more after that. What is their purpose? Are these legitimate numbers that are getting spammed on their end too? Very frustrating. 

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

The calls all came from mms.cricket.net numbers through the 410-100XXX. 

Message 6 of 7
Contributor

Getting the same. All from 410-100-0XX or 410-200-5XX

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support