For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
robrj's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, August 4th, 2016 9:18 PM

Unlimited Data with an AT&T Beam USB Modem

I know you can't tether with your phone or a hotspot device on the Unlimited Data Plan but  can you use the AT&T Beam USB modem as an extra device? 

The reason I ask is you could buy a Surface 3 4G LTE tablet and add that as a tablet device to the unlimited plan.

I have a Surface 3 (Wifi Only).  Adding the modem would make it function the same as the tablet with 4g.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

No (because then you could tether anything to it).

They don't allow you to tether/hotspot with tablets either, so it's not really the same.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L He's not saying he would be tethering. He would be using the usb modem to make a wifi only tablet capable of using cellular data. 

@robrj I am not positive but I see no reason why you couldn't. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Sandblaster is correct.  I'm not looking to tether with the tablet or make it into a hotspot.  I just want it to function like a 4g tablet device.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

I shouldn't have said "anything", you could plug in things other than the tablet, like a laptop which you could then tether other things to it or a desktop; they even made wireless routers with USB ports on them which could become instant unlimited hotspots.

This just seems like too easy of a way to circumvent AT&T's no tethering with Unlimited, I don't think it'd work. I'd be happy to be wrong with this, I'd like to plug it in my laptop, get the unlimited plan and ditch my home internet...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Looks like it won't work.  I just tried to add it to my plan but it gives me an error:

"2.  You've selected a device that isn't compatible with your available plan(s)"

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Nah it detects the Beam and those devices as hotspot type devices. Even though the Beam is a USB device that connects to a single device the issue is that with Windows ICS and things like that it's possible to "share" that connection with a multitude of devices.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L was correct, it's still tethering.  The only permitted is the connected car.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.