For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
canadian05's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 3:01 PM

Unlimited Data Throttling

I am aware of the policy. I am aware of AT&T's stated reasoning for that policy.

What I'm here for is:

-I contacted AT&T customer care and inquired why the policy is to throttle only unlimited users and not the mobile share users. Also why is the cut-off 5GB. In addition to the normal answers of, "because mobile share users can face overages" and "you pay a flat rate for a lower level of service" they also told me that throttling is mandated by an FCC rule. My first question is, what FCC rule is it that requires AT&T to throttle users? Also, what are the numbers and statistics that can show how unlimited users are the problem and not the mobile share users?

-Has AT&T responded to some publicly stated concerns by the head of the FCC over the practice of throttling based on type of service plan?

Additionally, I have a less serious question.

-If AT&T keeps telling me I would save money by switching to mobile share plans, why would they then justify the discrepancy in service by stating that mobile share users pay more and therefore receive better service. A 20GB mobile share plan for 4 lines actually costs less than the 4 lines of unlimited data my family has. Our current and past usage has never exceeded about 15GB. So, we are paying more money and receiving the inferior service. A family burning every bit of their 20GB allotment will never be throttled although they are paying less.

-I understand the need to throttle in order to maintain the integrity of the network. However, why wouldn't AT&T throttle unlimited users at the data limit of a comparatively expensive mobile share plan?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

I do not believe there is any FCC mandate to throttle users. So, why throttle unlimited users and not those on a finite amount of data? The idea is that those that have a limit will throttle themselves to avoid having to pay overages while those with unlimited data will not. As far as I know, every carrier that still offers unlimited data also throttles only unlimited data users. For whatever reason, ATT has chosen to implement throttling at preset levels of 3GB for 4G users and 5GB for LTE users. Other carriers throttle when they detect network degradation, so unlimited users could get throttled at less than those preset levels or not throttled at all.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I understand the basic idea behind your explanation. However, I disagree with the implementation.

Both mobile share and unlimited users are being encouraged to limit their use by either overages or throttling respectively. However, the mobile share users have access to a much larger cap before they hit overages. 5GB (for some users) is so absurdly low that there is no motivation to limit use. I hit that 5GB cap so quickly each month I stay in a perpetual state of throttle. If I am always throttled, I have no reason to reduce my use.

I would like to know what percentage of unlimited users ever use an equivalent amount of data as some of the larger mobile share plans (20GB and up). Depending on plan details unlimited plans and these higher level mobile share plans can cost similar amounts of money but the unlimited users are neutered in their ability to effectively use data past 5GB. While the mobile share folks are cruising nicely along until they risk overages and likely cut back or pay extra.

Again, I'm not saying throttling should never occur. I understand the need. However, I see inconsistencies in the stated intent and the implementation. You would gladly sell me 50GB of data through mobile share but the 15GB I'm using is unbearable and is a risk to the stability of the system. The two just don't match up. The throttling caps should be based on the cost and capacity of similar mobile share plans.

I was also told that unlimited users can and will be throttled in times of heavy load regardless of their use. I was told that mobile share users get priority over unlimited. Is that not the case with AT&T?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@canadian05 wrote:

I was also told that unlimited users can and will be throttled in times of heavy load regardless of their use. I was told that mobile share users get priority over unlimited. Is that not the case with AT&T?

I do not know for sure but this could very well be true. However, I've never seen any unlimited user complain about getting throttled at less than the 3/5GB levels on this forum.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Ok.Thanks.

Is there a phone number I can call other than the customer care line for these questions? The typical front line customer care rep is minimally informed and can't help me with these questions. I've actually had to educate a rep or two rather than the other way around.

Even if I could just get a number for a more specific customer service department that is more knowledgable. That would be a huge help.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

You would have to find someone in network operations and they don't have publicly advertised phone numbers. Even as an employee, I have no idea who I would contact to answer those questions.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

No one with unlimited data should be throttled it's ridiculous and untruthful to sell unlimited and the limit them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It's funny how the $30 unlimited iPad data deal isn't throttled.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Here's a customer that's complaining!  3 gb is hardly heavy usage.  We're not talking movies and such.  This is not what was explained to me when I first got the contract.  There was no mention of throttling except in heavy usage times in the overall network.  I think the FCC really does need to step in here, because the consumer is getting screwed.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

10 years ago

You are a day late....

I'm glad you are self controlled enough not to  burn more data than those of us on limited plans.   

You are the exception.

AT&T has to make policies that protect you and I from data hogs who tether their phones to their XBox and Apple TVs.

Those hogs are why unlimited data plans are on the way out and throttling is necessary.

(There are more of them then there are of you)

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

i have pulled out many hairs and grinded away many teeth trying to get a logical response from AT&T customer service for why my "unlimited data plan" goes from average speeds of 26MB+, mostly in the mid 30's and as high as 56MB but only upto 5GBs, then it does to max speed of 0.5MB.....yes 1/2MB download speeds.....&%#$#k*%$@!!.....i get it, AT&T wants to throttle back after 5 GBs but for whatever reasons they may produce and backed by the microscopic print in our contracts BUTTTTT 60 times slower!!!!! IF i am getting steady 30MBs download speeds then throttle me to 15MBs?....ok ok ill take 12......allllrighty lets do 10mbs...... ill take 7mbs........5mbs.......... ill take 3mbs.........but no.... the ***  in charge over there are giving MAX 0.5mbs.....i get steady 0.3mbs....you can barely open an email with those speeds..

im going to ditch the unlimited and add myself to my wife's new plan we just setup...ending oct 31 you can get the 30GB family plan for $130 plus whatever phone aggrement you have (2yrs new phone upgrade $40 or what we did, bought new phone outright and pay only $15 month)....so we will have 30GBs to share plus unlimted calling and texts for $160 plus taxes, previously we were paying $110 and $102 each, hers a 3GB plan, mine the fake unlimited really 5GB plan, me 450min canada plan with 200 texts, her 900 min plan unlimted texts....definitly the way to go, blow the unlimited data plan of way back

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.