For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
lilbudro's profile

Mentor

• 

91 Messages

Thursday, September 18th, 2008 9:46 PM

Closed

Seems that 3G Watcher does run "faster" than Comm Manager

At my home location, I am getting the following speeds on an EDGE network with 5 bars. :
3G Watcher: 157kbs Download, 122kbs Upload
Communication Manager 6.8.19 : 116kbs Download, 81kbs Upload

On edge, any speed counts. Anyone else care to post their findings ?

Accepted Solution

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

16 years ago

Respectfully, the memory footprint of the application shouldn't affect the network throughput. That's more a function of the efficiency of the code. I've noticed the same thing on EDGE networks - 3G Watcher is faster and more consistent.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

16 years ago

Being that CM runs heaver because it is more than a program, than 3G, your speed will be faster. CM is like 30mbs where as 3G watcher is a third of that. 3G watcher8-9 mbs.

Take in mind however that at&t has limited support for 3G Watcher because it is not their program.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

16 years ago

I totally agree that this is a valid solution however. It's all about your computer. In respect the different programs will tap more memory when running, which is clearly observer in your Task Manager. I preformed a test. I ran my computer in diagnostic mode. Communincation Manager ran at 292kbs on the edge network. 3G Watcher was picking up 338kbs. The only thing running in the back was the firewall and the connection software. Where as i do a normal start up, with everything running in the backround. The results are practically cut in half: CM 167kbs. 3G Watcher 187kbs. Again while 3G Watcher is indeed a faster connection, CM puts more strain on the computer to run the connection through it, a more memory consuming software. Always keep in mind that At&t will not support Sierra's program. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

16 years ago

I totally agree. The more programs in the background is running, the slower the connection. I have found that a lot of programs with a lot more functionality, slows the computer faster and also fills the memory faster. I do agree the Sierra Watcher is a smaller program hence it will not take too much room in the background to run and in the process speeds up the computer.

I totally agree that this is a valid solution however. It's all about your computer. In respect the different programs will tap more memory when running, which is clearly observer in your Task Manager. I preformed a test. I ran my computer in diagnostic mode. Communincation Manager ran at 292kbs on the edge network. 3G Watcher was picking up 338kbs. The only thing running in the back was the firewall and the connection software. Where as i do a normal start up, with everything running in the backround. The results are practically cut in half: CM 167kbs. 3G Watcher 187kbs. Again while 3G Watcher is indeed a faster connection, CM puts more strain on the computer to run the connection through it, a more memory consuming software. Always keep in mind that At&t will not support Sierra's program
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.