For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
n2qmt's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, August 10th, 2014 5:39 PM

Do I get charged for incoming AT&T international texts?

I'm using an iPhone 5s in the US with an unlimited talk/text plan.  I am travelling to Europe and I am not adding an International text message package. I will be adding a data package (likely the $60/300mb).  I will not be sending text messages.  How am I charged for any incoming texts? Also, does iMessage work and if so, is that charged?  One last thing...if I keep Cellular Data off but connect to wifi, will regular text messages come through and could I then send through wifi?  Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@smallsv03 All texts are free with the Passport plan. Sorry, there is no way to turn cellular voice off and leave texting on as SMS texting uses the voice network. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I am going to Europe with the international day pass but I want to avoid racking up any charges if possible. If I understand correctly, incoming texts and calls are free, but outgoing are not? Also, if my data and data roaming are off, I can't possibly be using data on background apps, correct? Lastly, if I have wifi on and data off, can I use iMessage without being charged since it isn't SMS? I just want to clarify before I go. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@elklaassen Incoming texts are free, calls are not. Any call will trigger the daily charge. Data roaming off will prevent any cellular data usage and there are no charges for iMessages over wifi. If you have an iPhone 6 or newer, make sure you activate wifi calling. With wifi calling, there are no charges for calls or texts because you are connected to ATT's network, not roaming on a foreign carrier. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you so much! How do I avoid receiving calls then? Can I turn my calls off somehow so I am not charged?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

The only way I know of to avoid receiving calls is to turn the phone off or put into airplane mode. As long as you are on the cellular network, you can be called. The "do not disturb" feature might keep calls from getting through but I'm not totally sure about that. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

if i send a text message to mexico from the US. how much will i get charged?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

ok so that helps me understand my situation but just to be sure, I have unlimited international texting and I am set up for the day pass just in case, but I don't intend on using it unless absolutely necessary. We have wifi at all the places we are staying, so I guess it would just be if we are walking around and get lost or need help in an emergency. So I should turn off roaming (or just turn to airplane mode) when we are away from wifi? Any suggestions would be helpful, every other time I've traveled to Europe I've spent way too much money on international calling plans and I'd like to avoid that this trip, which will be almost 5 weeks. Thanks so  much, Laura

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@LauraJ1 I’m not sure what you are responding to as this thread is over 4 years old but your international texting included in your regular plan is for texts to international numbers from the US, not for texting when you are out of he US. Since you have the international day pass, sending a text will trigger the $10 daily charge. The daily plan will get very expensive for 5 weeks if you are charged every day. For suggestions, suggest you read his blog: https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/International-Travel-amp-Wireless-Service-Top-10-Things-to-Know/ba-p/5473479

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.