Explore & discover

Helpful Links

No way to backup & restore text messages with AT&T "advanced" messages?

Teacher

No way to backup & restore text messages with AT&T "advanced" messages?

My Samsung S7 was defective, and AT&T sent me a replacement. In the process of transfering all of my content over from my old device to the replacement device (another S7, initally using SmartSwitch), I noticed that very few of my outgoing texts had transferred over. I also tried MyBackup, Carbonite, Helium, AT&T Mobile Setup, MobileTrans ... and kept getting the same result. Upon further investigation, it turns out that the message that would not transfer wer "advanced" messages - a new format that AT&T has started migrating to (but can be disabled). None of the backup softwares on the market work with this format, and the new format has very limited value (with very few users, I see message receipts - that's all I 've noticed different). However, not being able to backup and restore my texts is a major problem for me. I frequently reference past texts, and I've worked hard to keep my full archive through backups and transfers for years. AT&T makes this change, doesn't inform us of the implications, now I'm stuck about to lost important data. I've spent hours with AT&T support in chats, on the phone, in the store, and nobody can help me. This feels completely unacceptable.

Message 1 of 35
Contributor

Re: No way to backup

@lizdance40. I don't understand what you mean when you say "use AT&T Messages Backup and Sync." There is no AT&T Messages app for iPhone that I'm aware of. I've tried, unsuccessfully, using the following apps:

- Move to iOS
- AT&T Mobile Transfer
- SMS Backup+
- SMS Backup & Restore
- MobileTrans
- Google Messages

I can view messages from the last 90 days online using a browser at messages.att.net via AT&T Messages Backup and Sync, but I see no option to restore those messages to my new phone.

I'm in the same boat as others in this thread who never opted into using Advanced Messages and was switched to this format unknowingly. I've now lost my history of texts, some of which were with loved ones who are no longer living. This is very disappointing.
Message 31 of 35
ACE - Sage

@justin7

There is no app period.  Not for android.   It’s a virtual service.  Since I no longer have a compatible At&t android I can’t look up the path in setting of the phone app.  It would be in the s6.  I have no familiarity with iPhone and this function.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 35
Highlighted
ACE - Sage

https://www.att.com/features/backup-sync.html

iPhone is listed as a compatible device.  

Moving between At&t androids it’s a simple as swapping SIM card and letting the new phone sync.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 35
Tutor

As I mentioned in my previous post, you only have two options to get these messages off your old phone:

1) SMS Share 2 - Supports RCS and Advanced Messaging - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gilapps.smsshare2

2) Legal Text Collector - Advanced messages are supported on AT&T - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.legaltextcollector

Message 34 of 35
ACE - Sage

@kevp913

Hope those work.  At&t needs to get its act together.   

Message 35 of 35
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support