For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Estimator334's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 8:08 PM

Limiting Data Usage

I have 4 phones in my plan.  Two have unlimited data plans and I am not willing to give those two up.  One of my kids uses data wisely, and is always within his plan.  The other son uses data like crazy.  I installed the "Smart Limits" product and that let me cut off his data when he used his plan.  A few weeks ago AT&T took away this part of the "Smart Limits" product.  This month my son is on his fourth additional GB, at $10 each.

Today I went to the AT&T store.  The person at the store told me that I should give up both unlimited data packages and get a family plan with 10 GB shared.  Meanwhile my one son has already used over 6GB with a lot of time left this month!  When I said I was not willing to give up the unlimited data plans, he told me that I needed to download the myAT&T app, and then I could go in there and easily turn off his data usage when my son apporached his limit.  I didn't like relying on a manual process, but told him I'd download and set this up when I got home.

Later I downloaded the app.  There is no way to turn off my son's data usage.  So I called AT&T customer service.  The person I spoke to said that I couldn't do it in the app, only in the full website.  I went into the website, and at just as I was asking him how to actually turn off my son's data usage either the call dropped or he hung up.

I used the live chat online at that point.  The person there told me that there is no way to limit my son's data usage, and suggested that I just be extra vigilant about how he uses data.

I cann't believe that AT&T does not have a way for a parent to limit his child's data usage.  They had one, but turned it off a few weeks ago - were too many parents limiting iverage charges?  What should a parent do, other than to switch to another carrier?  Doe anyone have any real suggestions?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

T-mobile: One plan. Unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data for all.

$70 for the 1st line, $50 for line 2, $20 for each line after that when you remain enrolled in AutoPay. Now with taxes and fees included. The price you see is all you'll pay.

70+50+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20=280

after September ill have the next installments paid off so I won't have to buy any devices. 

But out that's not really my point. Att needs an option to restrict data. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Ridiculous comment. The truth is:   ATT has the capacity to allow you to set a limmit for each phone and it doesn't do it because it benefits from kids going over their limmits. If all parents want this and it is not provided (when it exists and is costless to provide) it is a sure sign of lack of competition in the market. The "other" company would provide it if there was real competition but companies find ways to collude even without talking to each other; in marketing classes it is called "signaling" and it is taught just like that: "how can you not violate the anti-trust legislation and still conspire against society with your competitor?  Through signaling" we are taught.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JavierTexas wrote:
ATT has the capacity to allow you to set a limmit for each phone and it doesn't do it because it benefits from kids going over their limmits.

The plans they introduced last August, the ones with NO overages, kind of disagrees with that theory. So do unlimited plans.

The old way wasn't "setting limits" with kids, it was forcing them off of cellular (they were still using WiFi).  

Teaching them how to manage their data would be setting learnable limits with kids (and would actually teach them something).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I agree, it's definitely a way for AT&T to make money.  I have the same problem; one son is good, and the other one is a data-demon.  I remember being offered the opportunity to have his data shut off after he reaches a certain amount for $5.99 per month.  However, after I decided it would be worth the investment, the program was removed and we are looking at $15 per gb overage and, of course, no rollover data.  The only thing I have working for me is that I get a text message and email from AT&T when my plan reaches 75% and again at 90%.  When it reaches 75%, I go in and shut down the data-demon.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@nas924 Teach them to check their data, so they can manage their use. 

Make a reward for which ever son tells you first when someone is over their limit. They'll both be checking!!!  

They can dial *DATA# to see the data use. The one can check on the actually phone for more accurate numbers...

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JavierTexas wrote:

Ridiculous comment. The truth is:   ATT has the capacity to allow you to set a limmit for each phone and it doesn't do it because it benefits from kids going over their limmits. If all parents want this and it is not provided (when it exists and is costless to provide) it is a sure sign of lack of competition in the market. The "other" company would provide it if there was real competition but companies find ways to collude even without talking to each other; in marketing classes it is called "signaling" and it is taught just like that: "how can you not violate the anti-trust legislation and still conspire against society with your competitor?  Through signaling" we are taught.

Don't know where you go to school, but it sounds like they need to teach a class on business ethics as well as marketing.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I would even be happy if we could set a data limit where after the limit is reached, that lines internet is throttled down drastically. With 9 other phones on my plan all it takes is for one or two people to use a little more data then they should and I’m paying $15 per gb which normally ends up being 3-5gb over. After years of having this issue and having to manually turn off data to certain people and tell them to calm down on their data, It hasn’t worked. If data overages weren’t such a money maker for carriers, they would have added a feature to let us limit or throttle data.

ATT is awesome, I'll likely end up staying with them because they’ve always been really nice to me. But I'm kicking the other 9 people off my plan in October and who knows which carrier they will end up with.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@pyoung14 wrote:

I would even be happy if we could set a data limit where after the limit is reached, that lines internet is throttled down drastically. With 9 other phones on my plan all it takes is for one or two people to use a little more data then they should and I’m paying $15 per gb which normally ends up being 3-5gb over.

So $45-$75 over regularly?  You're clearly on the wrong size plan!

Get 10GB more for $20-$40 a month and be done with it. (don't tell the kids you got more)

I can't be certain on the price since I don't know what plan you have.

After years of having this issue and having to manually turn off data to certain people and tell them to calm down on their data, It hasn’t worked. If data overages weren’t such a money maker for carriers, they would have added a feature to let us limit or throttle data.

They do throttle the current plans when you hit your limit, with those plans you can stop them from making more money!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

lol, Yes I know im on the wrong plan, but I'm in this weird situation where they discounted my data plan so much if I change my plan the discount goes away and it will cost me an arm and a leg to upgrade to higher data. So ATT helped me a lot by discounting me but somehow that screwed me so I cant get more data lol. I'm currently on a 40gb/mo plan. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Your point is precisely my point. It is completely unethical.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.