For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
WOMracing's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 3:20 AM

Why is my maximum group text limit only 10 recipients?

When is AT&T going to fix the problem of having a limit of only being able to send a group text to 10 recipients?  No other carrier has a limit on the amount of recipients that can be sent a group text except AT&T.  When are they going to fix this huge problem that they constantly seem to ignore and not give a real answer too? 

I have been with AT&T for over 22 years and their cell service is great, but their customer service is the worst, and their in store service is just as bad.  The question I asked above has been a constant problem that people have complained about for a while now and they never do anything about it.  Just watch how they answer the question above, if they even respond to it at all.   I guarantee you they will dance around it or use some lame excuse like it's an Iphone problem.  Well I don't have an Iphone, I have a new Samsung S6 Impact and I know other people who have the same phone as me but with Verizon and they have no problem sending group text messages with no limit on the amount of recipients they choose to send them too.  

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Just because something has been in place for a while doesn't mean it cannot or should not be improved. The need for 10 to be the limit is not clearly explained (why not 15 or 20?).

And now my default messaging app no longer gives me the option to send group texts as SMS, which allowed me to bypass the 10-recipient limit by using an external app AND my phone messaging app.

I too am a long-time, loyal at&t user and would love clearer explanations. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have 2 parents and 9 siblings.  Without texting in laws or nieces or nephews, I still have to send two messages.  It takes 2 texts to let everyone know at 3 am that the baby was born and she and mom are both doing well and are healthy or that were having to stop for the night and won't make it to unlock the cabin until tomorrow, so they need to code to access the hide-a-key if they're arriving before us.  Then I have to decide which people will most likely be interested in each others responses so they can be in the same group.

However, the biggest challenge of all of this is when I get a text saying, "Let us know where you're staying for Grandma's funeral" and it has 12 people on the message so I can't reply.  Everyone has replied to the main thread and I have to create a new group to text my response, but now I have to explain, like every time, why I'm texting in a new group, what comments I'm responding to, and what my response is.

Okay, done complaining, now for some real, business focused, research based suggestions.

To AT&T and any other carriers considering limiting group message sizes: there may be perfectly legitimate reasons for these restrictions, but if you don't want to loose customers, you absolutely need to do two things.  First, you must pick a limit size that more accurately reflects the limit of whom might be considered for a group text.  These is easy data to collect.  There are many unlimited texting services, and it is extremely simple to collect a set of numbers representing the largest group an individual forms when unrestricted.  These points form a nice little bell curve and you can start considering which percentage of customers you're willing to alienate.  You'll find the peak of the bell curve is close to 10, meaning half your customers would likely prefer more than that.  Using research rather than arbitrary numbers based on what some executive thought sounded nice, you might find your preferred cap at something like 23 or 19.  Not nice round numbers, but more likely to reflect customer preference.  Second, you should, without exception, allow unrestricted response to received messages.  If someone is added to a large text group outside your limit, they should not be unable to respond.  It's essentially punishing users for having your network.  You've already lost customers over this, but the reason you lost me is because you're not using intelligent business practices in this and other factors.  Show the world that you're an aware business.  Make changes based on customer needs, even if you have to adjust current policies.  Understand your market and stop falling behind your competitors over trivialities.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T is not listening, so if you’d like to text to more than 10 recipients, it’s time to move on.

My family and I were loyal AT&T customers for over 60 years, but I left over this issue. I tried, like you for over a year, but heard nothing but silence from AT&T. This forum is full of many others posting about the same issue, but look back, no response from AT&T.

Don’t waist your time, nobody at AT&T that can fix this issue is listening.

My solution was a very reluctant switch to Verizon.

Our messaging group contains 15 people including 1 from AT&T ( the rest are all Verizon). The Verizon users have no issues messaging the whole group until the AT&T person responds to the group which results in a new thread containing only 10. At that point, everyone becomes totally confused and randomly informed.

At this point I’m so glad I switched and now frustrated we still have 1 in the group on AT&T.

If you need to reliably message more than 10, you need to switch.

NOTE-The other carriers have similar limits as AT&T. Verizon is at least 15(confirmed), but probably less than 20. If more than 15, it’s time to consider a group messaging app like WhatsApp.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Why are we three years later & AT&T is the only company still limiting group text msg! This is ridiculous!!!! People have lives that involve more than 10 people.  I'm missing out on work because I cant respond to pick up shifts in my work group message!  With the cell phones being primary phones & everyone adding their numbers to do not call lists, spam messaging should not be AT&T's response!  Ready to bounce on AT&T after 30+ years with them!!!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This should be a customer choice not AT&T. Give me unlimited numbers in my group texts! I’ll accept all risks involved with spam messaging 🙄

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have a group of 14 dance friends;  We use a group text to stay in touch and organize get-togethers.  It works beautifully until someone who has AT&T tries to respond;  Then it creates a separate thread with only 10 people on it and everyone gets confused as to which thread to use;  Or, sometimes only 10 people are able to see the (AT&T) text response and others miss what was said.  Very frustrating, to say the least.  We have had to re-work our group text and instruct those who choose to stay with AT&T to NOT comment, just read texts only.  One person recently (finally) "dumped AT&T" and went to Verizon just so she could participate in our conversations.  When AT&T has lost a significant amount of business and money on account of this problem (yes, it's a problem) maybe they'll see their way clear to invest some funds and make an effort to catch up with the rest of the world. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have a group of 14 dance friends;  We use a group text to stay in touch and organize get-togethers.  It works beautifully until someone who has AT&T tries to respond;  Then it creates a separate thread with only 10 people on it and everyone gets confused as to which thread to use;  Or, sometimes only 10 people are able to see the (AT&T) text response and others miss what was said.  Very frustrating, to say the least.  We have had to re-work our group text and instruct those who choose to stay with AT&T to NOT comment, just read texts only.  One person recently (finally) "dumped AT&T" and went to Verizon just so she could participate in our conversations.  When AT&T has lost a significant amount of business and money on account of this problem (yes, it's a problem) maybe they'll see their way clear to invest some funds and make an effort to catch up with the rest of the world. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I've been using a messaging app that does not require members to download
the app itself. Members can receive and respond with regular SMS. Each
group can have up to 200 members (members have to respond to the invitation
in order to contine to get texts).

This is good for organized groups, but not so much for a single event
situations. Check your app store for messaging apps under G.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

babowman89, could you be a bit LESS cryptic about the app name?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

And it's still a separate app??? Seems like AT&T would only benefit if they would remove the limit?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.