For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Wanie44's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 4:08 AM

Grandfathering my unlimited data plan

When I get a new iPhone 6, how can I make sure I still keep my unlimited data plan that I've had since the first iPhone came out?
I have it on my iPad as well.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 years ago

@mcleath

How is that different from tiered internet plans now?  I have Cox cable and at the highest tier have a cap of 700 GBS. 

As for how ATT is modeling itself, it is following T-Mobiles lead, which was following the European practice of having customers buy their own phones and pay a reasonable price for service.   

It is working, slowly, but it's working.

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Interesting to read this. I changed to a different phone, no problem. Then do to harrassing phone calls had to change my number twice within a few weeks time. The second time the number changed is when the data was lost after talking to customer rep. over the phone that said it wouldn't be lost. The fact  that it was an altell transfer with unlimited data along with teather is making it even more of a big deal to them it seems with restoring it. Im currently battling them just to put it all back on original iphone with same original number. Now we are at a stale mate. They arent even responding to my daily emails. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T screwed me out of my unlimited data.  They bought out Alltel last year around August and we were told that our data plan would not be affected.  Well, that was a lie.  I was supposed to be grandfathered in due being with Alltel since 1998 with an unlimited data plan.  Well needless to say, AT&T stripped that away from us immediately.

We were forced to pick new phones because supposedly the phones we had with Alltel wouldn't work with them.  And the screwing people just continues.  Since they took away the unlimited data, it's a constant battle with them.  To hush me up about the unlimited data I got screwed out of, they gave me 10GB for $80.00.  This was not a promotional deal, this was a hush deal.  Now, they have a promotional deal going for "15GB for the same price as 10GB".  I changed to the 15GB plan since SUPPOSEDLY my rate wasn't supposed to go up.  That was a lie.  They've been charging me $100.00 instead of the $80.00 like I agreed to when they took my unlimited data away.  

I called them yesterday about this and I was pretty much told by Breanna that I was a liar.  I told her that I would change companies when contract was up and she was like " I hope I've answered all your questions.  Really?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Doontoothers

It is unlikely they can retrieve a number that may have been recycled (hopefully that person isn't getting the harassing calls)

If you can't get the unlimited plan back in 90 days, it's gone for good.

The plan is tied to the line, no matter what number or phone is used.  If at any point they put you on a new line, not just a new number, then the plan gets lost.  It looks to me like that may be what some inexperienced person did, some how canceled your original line and created a new line.

Good luck.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

You were entitled to keep your Altell plan.  Unfortunately the time to make an issue over it was then.  It's too late to do anything now.

After 90 days the computers can't replace a plan.

As far as the 10 GBS for $80 deal, as soon as you changed the special plan, you lost it.  You now can't even go back to the 10 GBS at $80.  

Wish you had come to the forum right away, we could have advised you of your rights.  Sorry.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Liars.   You can "keep" your grandfathered "unlimited" plan but  AT&T lies. They throttle your speed if you go over a certain amount of bandwidth in a month.   They are also raising rates $5...16%...in February 2016.   They are oh so nice in that this is the "first rate increase in 7 years."   Really?   Why am I paying $20 for unlimited text messages when that is data as well?    {Inappropriate content removed}

Bandwidth is bandwidth.  We didn't ask for them to upgrade their network (though doing so benefits them it does not make an increase in bandwidth usage.   A movie does not increase in size,  jpeg, file, email, just because the network becomes faster.   It's the same data.   Not to mention the hardware costs are covered by new customers, and other outrageous fees charged to others dumb enough to join AT&T. 

AT&T has NO loyalty to the early adopters of the iPhone who they got to sign on with the grandfathered plan they said they would offer with the iPhone introduction but are consistently trying to dishonor by whatever means necessary.   Slipping in a change when you are not looking.  Raising rates after 7 years (grandfathered means grandfathered...unlimited means unlimited...data is data and bandwidth is bandwith.....nothing has changed!  Therefore the price should not change....the price should not change just because the technology changes, you AT&T, did not say, "Grandfathered, unless technology improves or changes".   It's a given that technology would improve, you are simply liars and thiefs for changing the rules now.

So am I going to switch from AT&T?      No, I am going to get 16% more value for the 16% increase.    How am I going to do that?   Well, I sleep for 8 hours.  I drive to and from work 2 hours a day.  I'm going to create a FREE app and give it to every AT&T customer I know that does nothing but consume bandwidth.    16% more.  

Oh but AT&T will fight back.  Yes, they will because they are evil, but they also have an 800 customer support number and I have unlimited ability to call that number.   Oh but they will cancel that number...So, AT&T will cancel their 800 number, but I will still call and consume their customer reps time with questions like.."I don't understand why my bill is $5 higher, that's a 16% raise in rates, did you get a 16% increase in salary to answer my call?"  

Fight back where it hurts, their profit margins.   Maybe when they realize that those of us who are grandfathered should be treated like a grandfather, we can all get along.  Would you want your nephew reaching into your wallet stealing your money?   You're the grandfather, tell the youthful AT&T who does not know how to make deals in this new world to live up to their word or stop making deals period.    Take the A out of their name because it is unAmerican to not earn the respect of your customers and to make deals you later break.  

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

That is a brilliant plan of action. The problem is, ATT can simply cancel your service, which they have a right to do since you are month to month. Being grandfathered is not a right you have (show me where, if you think otherwise), but a privilege ATT has granted you and can take away when ever they please.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

I totally agree with you @Busternutt

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Just dial 611 and talk to an employee and verify your unlimited data plan is still on your account since you are grandfathered in. The AT&T employees aren't as knowledgeable as you would expect. I have called in a few times and was given the wrong information but after insisting I was correct they spoke with their supervisor and they were in fact wrong. 

You can keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan for as long as you want SO LONG AS you do not change your plan. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Just dial 611 and talk to an employee and verify your unlimited data plan is still on your account since you are grandfathered in. The AT&T employees aren't as knowledgeable as you would expect. I have called in a few times and was given the wrong information but after insisting I was correct they spoke with their supervisor and they were in fact wrong. 

You can keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan for as long as you want SO LONG AS you do not change your plan. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.