For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
nmidude77's profile

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

Monday, July 16th, 2018 1:42 PM

Getting throttled when not congested, no matter what

Running the Unlimited Plus plan, we get throttled every single month right after hitting 22GB. We live in an area of about 100 people, near a busy highway, with maybe 25% of those people having AT&T. Before 22GB our data is great, 12-15Mbps all day long. The second we hit 22GB of data, we drop to 1-3Mbps, after about 8am for the rest of the day, every day until our data resets for the new cycle. I also notice a drop in signal right when we hit 22GB. Is that normal?

I can run a speed test at 6am and hit 12-15Mbps but right after that 8am hour it drops and never goes above 3Mbps, sometimes lucky to even hit 1Mbps. Has anyone else noticed this degradation of service after hitting the 22GB mark? I've asked numerous reps and they all say the same thing, you are getting throttled after 22GB of data used, no matter what.

This is crap service if you ask me! I was happy with Verizon, burning 300GB+ every month, never a slow down but I wanted a more reliable at home internet solution (I was using my phone as a hot spot on Verizon, not exactly a reliable at home internet solution). I have been very dissatisfied with AT&T since signing up in October with their home phone and internet wireless device and Unlimited Plus plan. Your disclaimer of "...after 22GB of data you may experience slower speeds during congestion in your area..." is false and misleading!  No where does it state "You will see slower speeds no matter what...". I'm about ready to just dump AT&T and go back to Verizon!

Please chime in if I'm missing something...

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@nmidude77

you just explained congestion lock stock and barrel....  Its faster in the early morning and slows down when people are out and about...  Your in a rural area that tower may only have lower end fiber in it.   which is why you max out at 15mbps...  My tower by home in a town of 1200 I test at 88mbps/28mbps all the time BUT the tower is right next to the main fiber line for downstate IL that att owns.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@nmidude77

You wrote..”.I've asked numerous reps and they all say the same thing, you are getting throttled after 22GB of data used, no matter what.”

That is not how it is as your phones data is not throttled.  Reprioritization May have the same effect, but it’s not how it supposed to work.

Sounds like you need to switch back.  Mind if I ask why you switched to ATT?

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Like I had stated, we wanted a more reliable at home internet solution, always on and always connected. Switching to AT&T is saving us about $50/month but had I known about this throttling crap from AT&T, I would have never switched! Even the store reps lied to me, stating they use tons of data per month and never experienced slow downs using the same plan as I had and the same wireless home phone and internet device. Ugh, I was scammed...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@nmidude77

Its not a scam.  Many do use hundreds of gigs with no reprioritization at all, so I believe the sales reps told you the truth.  I know @GLIMMERMAN76 has the plan and uses 100’s of gigs.   If you relocate you may have no slow down.  

If you are using cellular as a substitute for home internet,that is not what ATT intended.  

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

"If you are using cellular as a substitute for home internet,that is not what ATT intended." 

Then why on earth would they offer a "Wireless HOME Phone and Internet" option?? Of course folks are going to attempt to use this as their main home internet, especially for us rural folk who have no other options except sat. It just floors me that they can't find a way to give the rural folks true high speed internet. It's not like we are sitting in the middle of a downtown Chicago park or running around town burning up gobs of data watching pointless videos on our iPhone! We are utilizing it for our home, using it like any other household would use their home internet connection. To me it does seem like a bit of a scam to offer an at home internet device and then render it basically useless after 22GB, which I'm sure you all know when using it as a main home source of internet can be eaten up in a matter of days! I guess I just had high hopes for this and I was let down....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@nmidude77 wrote:

"If you are using cellular as a substitute for home internet,that is not what ATT intended." 

Then why on earth would they offer a "Wireless HOME Phone and Internet" option?? Of course folks are going to attempt to use this as their main home internet, especially for us rural folk who have no other options except sat. It just floors me that they can't find a way to give the rural folks true high speed internet. It's not like we are sitting in the middle of a downtown Chicago park or running around town burning up gobs of data watching pointless videos on our iPhone! We are utilizing it for our home, using it like any other household would use their home internet connection. To me it does seem like a bit of a scam to offer an at home internet device and then render it basically useless after 22GB, which I'm sure you all know when using it as a main home source of internet can be eaten up in a matter of days! I guess I just had high hopes for this and I was let down....

I'm a little on the low side this month...  No slowdowns...  Its all about the back haul into the tower period.

Capture.PNG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

"Of course folks are going to attempt to use this as their main home internet, especially for us rural folk who have no other options except sat."

This is exactly the rock and a hard place situation I find myself in. I'm stuck in an area that AT&T owns exclusive service to, and AT&T refuses to run *any* kind of physical high-speed internet connection in the rural area I live in! When I first moved here I would complain to them about having no high-speed internet options, and was assured that they would be working on that and building them soon. That was 16 years ago! There is still *no* physical option other than dial-up in my area. Less than 1/4 mile away another provider offers fibre-optic! I've been forced to use my phone as my primary internet because I have no other option. Now, AT&T is throttling me all the time. It doesn't matter if I've used 22 GB or 22 MB of my plan, the speed is now at or below that of dial-up, all the time. I know I'm being throttled because my wife's phone, sitting right next to mine, gets 1 MB/s on the SpeedTest, while I time out. I've put up with AT&T's nonsense for a long time (I began as a Cingular customer!) but with their consistently decreasing LTE signals in my area (was 3 bars, now ~1) and now this hidden throttling, I'm pretty well at the breaking point.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

So it may not be throttling after all that is happening to me. AT&T reps really have no clue and just blame it on throttling for no reason. I did some extensive troubleshooting and came up with a theory. See my latest thread: https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Bouncing-from-near-no-signal-to-3-4-signal-strength/m-p/5589937#M73616

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Still getting the same results, pull ~20Mbps at 6am, slowed down to pretty much useless in the evening. I can see slowing it down a bit to say, 5Mbps but why 1Mbps, sometimes even less?? This is crap service if you ask me! I'm so irritated with AT&T! All I wanted was a decent at home internet solution via the wireless home phone and internet offered by AT&T. I'm not asking for 20Mbps all the time but is it too much to ask for to have like 5Mbps in the evening?? I'm not sure how throttling works but this just seems unfair, to throttle a user down to pretty much useless data! I could on and on but it don't matter, in the end I guess it's time to cut my losses and jump back on the Verizon bandwagon.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.