For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
MAStaab's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 5th, 2015 1:15 AM

Data charges on multimedia texts?

I am on an unlimited text, prepaid plan (no data) with AT&T, but cannot send or receive picture texts or group texts. If I go to my phone settings and turn data to ON then I CAN send and recieve those texts. My question is, if I turn the data setting to ON on my phone, will AT&T charge me extra for using data?

(Turning it to ON does not allow me to use internet without WiFi, so it seems like having it on is not really giving me real DATA, but somehow is necessary for pic/group texting)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

9 years ago

Yes, you will incur data usage and charges this way.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@MAStaab wrote:

I am on an unlimited text, prepaid plan (no data) with AT&T, but cannot send or receive picture texts or group texts. If I go to my phone settings and turn data to ON then I CAN send and recieve those texts. My question is, if I turn the data setting to ON on my phone, will AT&T charge me extra for using data?

(Turning it to ON does not allow me to use internet without WiFi, so it seems like having it on is not really giving me real DATA, but somehow is necessary for pic/group texting)

You will not be charged for data usage on the picture messages but you may be charged if your phone does some other data access. Picture messaging needs a data connection to work but does not count as data.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.