For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
mobbo's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 4:02 PM

Closed

AT&T CM & Windows XP SP3 - Cannot Browse

I've been working on this issue for several days now and I'm at a loss. I am an IT Manager for a company that uses hundreds of AT&T aircards in tandem with Dell laptops for many of our employees. I've never ever had an issue with AT&T Communication Manager until we got some new Dell laptops with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 pre-installed. With ANY AT&T aircard installed, the laptop will connect, get an IP address, and can ping any website out there... but it will NOT let a user browse the internet or receive POP email among other things.

Gear I've tested this on:

-Dell Latitude D820
-Dell Latitude D430
-AT&T Communication Manager 6.09.0115.0
-Cingular Communication Manager 5.4
-Sierra Wireless AirCard 860
-Sierra Wireless AirCard 875
-AT&T USBConnect Mercury

If you have Windows XP SP2 installed, it works like a dream. As soon as you install SP3, you can browse fine until you reboot. Once you reboot, you can connect and ping anything you want, but it will not browse. You also see the following error in the Event Viewer:

"The IP address lease 166.128.6.10 for the Network Card with network address 00A0D5FFFF8D has been denied by the DHCP server 166.128.10.253 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

If the IP address is being dropped by the DHCP service... why can I still ping websites and why can I still see the IP address assigned to the network adapter when I run 'ipconfig /all' in the command prompt?

EDIT:

Also, the card works again if you uninstall the drivers, take the card out, put it back in, and have the drivers re-install automatically... until you reboot. Once you reboot, you cannot browse, check email, etc. but you CAN ping.

Message Edited by mobbo on 11-18-2008 08:20:51 AM

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

This worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

For anyone attempting this fix, be sure to leave your aircard/modem in while you uninstall the drivers. If you just pop the aircard out, then do the uninstall of 6.9.115, then install 6.9.118, it won't work. You must actually leave the card in, go to Device Manager, and uninstall the drivers. So the instructions should look something like this:

1. Download AT&T Communication Manager 6.9.118.
2. Uninstall the pre-existing version of Communication Manager using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
3. With the aircard/modem still in, uninstall all associated device drivers in Device Manager.
4. Remove the aircard and reboot.
5. Install Communication Manager, insert the aircard/modem, allow the drivers to install on their own, and attempt to connect: Windows XP
6. If issues persist, contact Customer Service.

One other critique... I spent literally DAYS searching online for this solution on these forums and other ones and could not find it. Calls to AT&T Support also did not alert me to this issue. XP SP3 is not uncommon so I'm very shocked this isn't in big bold letters on the AT&T Communication Manager download page. I imagine thousands of customers with XP SP3 are still downloading version 6.9.115 from that page as we speak and breaking their connectivity.

Mentor

• 

23 Messages

15 years ago

There is currently a known issue with AT&T Communication Manager 6.9.115, Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Sierra devices causing the device to stop browsing after the computer is rebooted.

Procedure
  2. Uninstall the pre-existing version of Communication Manager: Windows XP
  3. Uninstall all associated device drivers.
  4. Install Communication Manager and attempt to connect: Windows XP
  5. If issues persist, contact Customer Service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Worked for me too! Thank you so much. I've been having this issue since yesterday, which was the first time I've used my computer since XP SP3 install over the weekend.

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

15 years ago

Kudos to all of you who contributed to making this a valuable thread. I too was unable to connect using 6.9.115; when I called Laptop Support on Monday, I got a helpful individual but he didn't have access to the updated version of ACM or the process for removing the old drivers. This process did the trick. Thanks for taking the time to help out the rest of us.

Former Moderator

• 

125 Messages

15 years ago

Maleficent wrote:
There is currently a known issue with AT&T Communication Manager 6.9.115, Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Sierra devices causing the device to stop browsing after the computer is rebooted.

Procedure
  2. Uninstall the pre-existing version of Communication Manager: Windows XP
  3. Uninstall all associated device drivers.
  4. Install Communication Manager and attempt to connect: Windows XP
  5. If issues persist, contact Customer Service.

Additional information about this issue can be found in the Answer Center article Unable to Browse After Rebooting a Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Computer when using a Sierra Wireless Device and AT&T Communication Manager 6.9.115.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.