For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Hicken's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, January 24th, 2016 10:30 PM

Stolen hardware

Last year, my modem was among the many electronic devices stolen from me. I've since moved, and I'd like to order a replacement. How would I go about doing this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

Hello @Hicken

Are you actually a current AT&T customer? If so, are you on AT&T DSL or AT&T U-verse?

If your AT&T DSL modem was stolen, you can purchase a replacement by going to:

https://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5520229&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

If you're an AT&T U-verse subscriber, you may be set as a rental or owned modem customer. If you were an owned modem customer in the past, you can contact AT&T and they will send you a new modem with no initial cost, however you will now have a $7 monthly equipment rental fee on your bill. If you used to rent a modem for your U-verse services, you might be a little stuck. Since it was stolen, when AT&T does rental equipment swaps, the other equipment must be sent back or you'll be charged an unreturned equipment fee. If that's the case, then you might need to reach out to AT&T for further assistance in that situation.

If you're trying to order AT&T services again, then you can purchase the gateway at the link I provided above(if AT&T DSL is available at your address). If U-verse is available, you will receive a piece of equipment that you will rent at the time of installation.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Hey, thanks for the in-depth response.

Looks like I'll have to contact AT&T directly, as I was renting the modem. 

Once again, thanks.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Hicken

In your case, I would contact AT&T Customer Care to see what they say in this matter. I'm not exactly sure what they are going to tell you. I can't exactly remember how this worked out for others in the past. I know some companies demand you pay the full unreturned equipment fees in cases like this and try to have insurance cover the costs. I wish you luck. By the way, you mentioned it happened last year. Did you never cancel your service? If you did, they never sent you a bill for the equipment months later(or was it not months later yet?)

Customer Care can be contacted by clicking the link below(expect a response over the next few days):

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

In the message body, please include the following:

- Name

- Address

- Account number

- Phone number

- Contact email address

- The best time to contact you if needed

- The problem you are having (in detail)

Below is an image describing where to enter information within your message:

privatemessage.jpg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.