Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

DTVTiVo09384's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Monday, July 15th, 2019 2:42 PM

Closed

I have several questions about genie features

I have several questions regarding the way the Directv Genie functions.

1. When you set a regular season pass for a certain show on the Genie, is the season pass specific to the channel that you set it on or does it include every channel that you receive?

2. When setting a season pass, does the Genie give the option to record first-run episodes only, all episodes airing, or all episodes including duplicate airings of the same episode?

3. Does the Genie keep all recordings until I delete them, or does it start deleting them if it gets too full in order to make room for other recordings?

4. Does the Genie have the ability to record shows by keyword and title without the show actually being in the program guide at the time? For instance, type in the name of your favorite movie, and then it will record it whenever the movie comes on regardless of what channel it is on?

5. I read about the Genie having to be set to record each season of a show separately. Is it possible to set it just to record anything that has "the name of the show" in the title, in order to get every season of the show? For instance, could I just type in "NCIS" and then it would record any episode of NCIS regardless of the season?

6. Finally, it is possible to enter part of the name of a show in order to get all episodes? Take "Power Rangers" for instance. There are all different seasons with different names. Most seasons don't air anymore, but would it be possible to set a "catch-all" recording for "Power Rangers" rather than entering 20 or so different season names? Every season has "Power Rangers" as part of the title, so could I just enter "Power Rangers" to record instead of having to select "Power Rangers Dino Charge" or "Power Rangers: Beast Morphers", etc.?

Sorry for so many questions.  I'm just trying to see how the Genie differs from the standalone TiVo.

Thank you very much for any help with the above.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@DTVTiVo09384 wrote:

I have several questions regarding the way the Directv Genie functions.

1. When you set a regular season pass for a certain show on the Genie, is the season pass specific to the channel that you set it on or does it include every channel that you receive?

2. When setting a season pass, does the Genie give the option to record first-run episodes only, all episodes airing, or all episodes including duplicate airings of the same episode?

3. Does the Genie keep all recordings until I delete them, or does it start deleting them if it gets too full in order to make room for other recordings?

4. Does the Genie have the ability to record shows by keyword and title without the show actually being in the program guide at the time? For instance, type in the name of your favorite movie, and then it will record it whenever the movie comes on regardless of what channel it is on?

5. I read about the Genie having to be set to record each season of a show separately. Is it possible to set it just to record anything that has "the name of the show" in the title, in order to get every season of the show? For instance, could I just type in "NCIS" and then it would record any episode of NCIS regardless of the season?

6. Finally, it is possible to enter part of the name of a show in order to get all episodes? Take "Power Rangers" for instance. There are all different seasons with different names. Most seasons don't air anymore, but would it be possible to set a "catch-all" recording for "Power Rangers" rather than entering 20 or so different season names? Every season has "Power Rangers" as part of the title, so could I just enter "Power Rangers" to record instead of having to select "Power Rangers Dino Charge" or "Power Rangers: Beast Morphers", etc.?

Sorry for so many questions.  I'm just trying to see how the Genie differs from the standalone TiVo.

Thank you very much for any help with the above.

Great questions. Let me try to answer.

1. You can set them up either way. If you set up a Series Recording (aka Season Pass) using the Smart Search feature, the Genie will record that show on any channel that provides it, even OnDemand channels. If you set up the Series Recording from the Channel Guide it will only record from that channel.

2. Yes

3. Either way. You can setup Series Recordings to "Keep Until I Delete", or keep a set number of episodes. The default is 5 episodes. 

4. Yes

5. Yes. See #1 above. 

6. Yes. Setting up a recording based on Keyword will do that. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@DTVTiVo09384 wrote:

Thank you very much for all of the information.  I have one more question that I forgot before.  Is it possible to set the Genie to record by channel and time, rather than by TV show?

Thanks!

Yes. That's called a "Manual Recording". 

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you very much for all of the information.  I have one more question that I forgot before.  Is it possible to set the Genie to record by channel and time, rather than by TV show?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

@DTVTiVo09384 All of the Directv DVR’s do pretty much everything your TiVo does. It’s been so long since I had a TiVo, I don’t even remember the differences but I found the transition pretty seamless.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@litzdog911 

@sandblaster 

Thank you both very much for the info!

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.