Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 11, 2012
1:06:51 PM
Will setting up the Personal WiFi Hotspot use my data?

I am on the 4gb data plan and have the iPhone 4S. Using AT&T hotspots are super slow and my phone is rarely able to connect to them...so if I use my phone as a personal hotspot for my laptop, will it count as data useage on my account?

I am on the 4gb data plan and have the iPhone 4S. Using AT&T hotspots are super slow and my phone is rarely able to connect to them...so if I use my phone as a personal hotspot for my laptop, will it count as data useage on my account?

Accepted Solution

Will setting up the Personal WiFi Hotspot use my data?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 11, 2012 1:20:54 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Underlyingsound on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:22:28 PM

remylayne wrote:

Yes, the AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot feature will count agiasnt your $45 4GB data plan, but you'll be able to achieve fast HSPA+ speeds with your iPhone and your internet-enabled device, a feature and speed regular AT&T Hotspots may not offer.

remylayne wrote:

Yes, the AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot feature will count agiasnt your $45 4GB data plan, but you'll be able to achieve fast HSPA+ speeds with your iPhone and your internet-enabled device, a feature and speed regular AT&T Hotspots may not offer.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

Re: Will setting up the Personal WiFi Hotspot use my data?

[ Edited ]
2 of 18 (126,923 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 1:21:27 PM
(0)
Professor
Yes, you are using the phone's cell data connection when you use it as a hotspot for other devices. As far as the data is concerned, it's the same as if you are using the data on your phone, instead of using it on a device connected to the phone.
Yes, you are using the phone's cell data connection when you use it as a hotspot for other devices. As far as the data is concerned, it's the same as if you are using the data on your phone, instead of using it on a device connected to the phone.

3 of 18 (126,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 1:31:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, that news just sucks...as a kid struggling between a full time job and school, it's easier to do homework and work on research papers in a public location instead of sitting on my bed waiting for the next distraction at home...oh well. Guess I know where I'll be. lol. Thanks for the info guys.

Well, that news just sucks...as a kid struggling between a full time job and school, it's easier to do homework and work on research papers in a public location instead of sitting on my bed waiting for the next distraction at home...oh well. Guess I know where I'll be. lol. Thanks for the info guys.

4 of 18 (126,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 1:34:45 PM
(0)
Guru

remylayne wrote:

You can use AT&T's public Wi-Fi Hotspots for free of charge.

remylayne wrote:

You can use AT&T's public Wi-Fi Hotspots for free of charge.

5 of 18 (126,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 1:52:54 PM
(0)
Master
I have got to ask you why you thought using data to feed your personal hotspot would not count as data?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
I have got to ask you why you thought using data to feed your personal hotspot would not count as data?

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 18 (126,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 2:32:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Because I honestly didn't know. Didn't realize there was an entrance exam to ask a forum question...I'll make sure I take that class next.

Because I honestly didn't know. Didn't realize there was an entrance exam to ask a forum question...I'll make sure I take that class next.

7 of 18 (126,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 2:57:41 PM
(0)
Master

remylayne wrote:

Question was not meant to be taken the way you did.........

remylayne wrote:

Question was not meant to be taken the way you did.........

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

8 of 18 (126,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 3:18:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

my apologies, I took it the way it was written.

my apologies, I took it the way it was written.

9 of 18 (126,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 4:34:22 PM
(0)
Guru

Keep this in mind - any time your phone isn't on wi-fi (whether your own or someone else's), you're using data against your data allocation. It's really that simple. 

Keep this in mind - any time your phone isn't on wi-fi (whether your own or someone else's), you're using data against your data allocation. It's really that simple. 

10 of 18 (126,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 1:09:26 AM
(0)
Guru

remylayne wrote:

Yeah, basically anytime you use AT&T's E, 3G or 4G networks to access the internet, it'll count against your data usage. The only times it won't is when you use a public AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot or you use another Wi-Fi network of some sort. Anything on the cellular network that's not a phone call or a message counts against your data plan. I can see why that's confusing though. But with a $45 4GB data plan, I'd go ahead and use the feature anyway. Just be aware of your usage and only use the amount of data you need. Make a compromise between going out and staying in to access the internet. If you don't think you'll use it, I'd downgrade to the $30 3GB data plan to save money. The $45 4-5GB data plan was created with the Hotspot feature in-mind.

remylayne wrote:

Yeah, basically anytime you use AT&T's E, 3G or 4G networks to access the internet, it'll count against your data usage. The only times it won't is when you use a public AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot or you use another Wi-Fi network of some sort. Anything on the cellular network that's not a phone call or a message counts against your data plan. I can see why that's confusing though. But with a $45 4GB data plan, I'd go ahead and use the feature anyway. Just be aware of your usage and only use the amount of data you need. Make a compromise between going out and staying in to access the internet. If you don't think you'll use it, I'd downgrade to the $30 3GB data plan to save money. The $45 4-5GB data plan was created with the Hotspot feature in-mind.

11 of 18 (126,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 10:27:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have the 15GB shared data plan, will using my iphone4 as a hotspot use any more data than if I were to use my air card?
I have the 15GB shared data plan, will using my iphone4 as a hotspot use any more data than if I were to use my air card?

12 of 18 (105,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 2:04:58 AM
(0)
Professor

Erose3 wrote:

Hard to say.  IF you use the iPhone as the hotspot, the phone will use whatever data the phone uses for the functions it's running in addition to what's connected via it's hotspot.  Your ai rcard uses whatever data the device connected to it uses.

Erose3 wrote:

Hard to say.  IF you use the iPhone as the hotspot, the phone will use whatever data the phone uses for the functions it's running in addition to what's connected via it's hotspot.  Your ai rcard uses whatever data the device connected to it uses.

13 of 18 (105,698 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 7:25:33 AM
(0)
Master

Best way to know if your using your data plan is look at the top left of your phone if it displays anything other than the wi-fi signal you are using your allotted data and remember if the wi-fi signal is to weak it will then revert to 3G/4G unless you have cellular turned off.

Best way to know if your using your data plan is look at the top left of your phone if it displays anything other than the wi-fi signal you are using your allotted data and remember if the wi-fi signal is to weak it will then revert to 3G/4G unless you have cellular turned off.

14 of 18 (105,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 8:23:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have an unlimited plan and am only on the network while at work. I would like to set up Personal WiFi just to download my music from the Amazon Cloud to my Kindle so I can listen to my music at work right now. Can I do that?
I have an unlimited plan and am only on the network while at work. I would like to set up Personal WiFi just to download my music from the Amazon Cloud to my Kindle so I can listen to my music at work right now. Can I do that?

15 of 18 (75,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 8:58:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

At this time, AT&T does not allow you to setup the Personal Hot Spot feature if you have the unlimited data plans.  Those plans are old and outdated, and have not been updated to allow the newer features such as Personal Hotspot.  If you want to use the Personal Hotspot, consider migrating to one of the new Mobile Share Value Plans.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

At this time, AT&T does not allow you to setup the Personal Hot Spot feature if you have the unlimited data plans.  Those plans are old and outdated, and have not been updated to allow the newer features such as Personal Hotspot.  If you want to use the Personal Hotspot, consider migrating to one of the new Mobile Share Value Plans.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 18 (75,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 9:19:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for your quick response to my question.  Guess I'll remember to download my music from the Cloud to my Kindle before I leave the house tomorrow morning.  :-}

Thanks for your quick response to my question.  Guess I'll remember to download my music from the Cloud to my Kindle before I leave the house tomorrow morning.  :-}

17 of 18 (75,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 10:42:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Pbh95 wrote:

Since you asked this on the Apple forum, I presume you have an iPhone so I'm just curious, why not just download the music to the iPhone and play it from there? That's how I play all my music. Why download to the Kindle? Even if you are talking about the Amazon cloud, you can still download that music directly to the iPhone or stream it from the cloud. You just need the cloud player app.

Pbh95 wrote:

Since you asked this on the Apple forum, I presume you have an iPhone so I'm just curious, why not just download the music to the iPhone and play it from there? That's how I play all my music. Why download to the Kindle? Even if you are talking about the Amazon cloud, you can still download that music directly to the iPhone or stream it from the cloud. You just need the cloud player app.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 18 (75,438 Views)