For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
jimmyranger's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 3rd, 2018 1:01 AM

Was given an Iphone 5s previously used on AT&T, how long will AT&T support the 5s?

iPhone 5s,  model A1533

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

ATT does not support any iPhone, Apple does. An iPhone 5s will continue to work on ATT for many years. Obviously, that phone won’t get 5G but the current LTE and 4G networks will be around for many years. The phone will die long before it won’t work on ATT’s network.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

What happens when the iPhone 5s reaches software ver.13.00 and can't be updated anymore - will the phone still function?  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

3 years ago

Yes. You just won't be able to use any of the new features that iOS 13.x and above has to offer.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

@joelandsusan There have been changes since this 3 year old thread was started. An iPhone 5s will no longer work on ATT as of February 2022 when ATT shuts down their 3G network. Not sure what you mean by “reaches iOS 13”, Apple is on iOS 14. The 5s can’t update past iOS 12. That doesn’t mean there are no updates. My old iPad that can’t go past iOS 12 just got an update today to iOS 12.5.3.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

3 years ago

@sandblaster I thought the 5S supported GSM/CDMA/LTE (but can't display 4G) and can be updated, if still available, to 12.4.6.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

The just of it is the 5S will not work on ATT right now with a new activation and for current customers starting in 2/2022 but if they remove the sim put it in another phone and try to go back it may or may not work.  On prepaid it won't work they are using hard account stops on those. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

@OttoPylot

AT&T 5S was not capable of operating on Sprint or Verizon and had no CDMA support.  It will get updates within ios 12, but not go to 13. 

It is not compatible with AT&T's HD voice and will cease to function (as cellular) next February.   Unlock and sell out if USA

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

3 years ago

Thanks everyone (@lizdance40 and @GLIMMERMAN76 ) for the clarifications. Looks like my old 5S goes onto the "Apple Display" shelf for display purposes only 😉.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

@OttoPylot  I'm sure you have room on your MicroCell closet. 😂

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

3 years ago

@lizdance40 Funny you should mention that. I am in the process of cleaning them up and getting ready to recycle what I can. Just for fun and games, I reconnected the 154 and it was up and running perfectly in about 8 minutes. I'm gonna keep it online for about a month just to record recent use so AT&T doesn't pull the plug early.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.