For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 9:08 PM

Closed

How to unlock an Iphone

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and the Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks @ML0815!

Yes, I am the original owner of the iPhone 5S.  I paid off the 2-year service agreement and then gave it to my dad to use when I upgraded iPhones.

Any help you could provided would be very much appreciated!

Guru

• 

408 Messages

8 years ago

Hello @12phan

Thank you for answering. That helps me realign the focus of the situation.

The error message you posted, reads:

"We're unable to process your request because the device is currently active on another AT&T customer's account."

H2O Wireless (formerly O2 Wireless [...]) is a United States-based prepaid GSM phone and Internet service [...] [operated by] Locus Telecommunications [...] via AT&T's network. Source

As requirement for ALL requests, the Device Unlock Portal specify the device must:

"Not currently be active on a different AT&T customer's account.

You may be that "different AT&T customer" who has the device activated on his account, unknowingly making it ineligible.

To resolve that, you may need to do one of the following:

1) Cancel your account, in order to disassociate the device from an AT&T account [which will make you loose your mobile phone number, if you wanted to port it to the next carrier].

2) Temporarily activate a different device on the account, in order to bump your device from being associated to that account.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

8 years ago

@12phan

What @ML0815 wrote is weird, but true.  Even switching lines on a shared account will give this error.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I bought out my contract 1.5 yrs ago because there is no ATT coverage where i moved to. I had 3 phones on my contract 2 of the phones I got unlock codes for but the 3rd one ATT keeps telling me i can't unlock it due to I just upgraded my phone. That was 2 yrs ago. How do i contact ATT to get them to unlock my phone?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Is the 3rd device a prepaid one, that was used < 6 months? 

Part of the Go Phone contract is that it must be used for that duration, before the device is unlocked.

Other than that, if you meet the requirements, I've had good luck using chat to get this sort of stuff resolved, given that it's easy to paste in values, such as IMEIs, PUK status#'s, and the like.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks @ML0815 and @lizdance40 for your thoughts.

@ML0815, I actually just activated a new device on the account yesterday.  I tried unlocking the device again and received the same denial message.  I may be switching carriers soon so will try your other method.

A strange complication is that I tried unlocking two devices recently: iPhone 4s and iPhone 5s.  I am the original owners of both devices, they are still in my possession, and I gave to family members to use on the H20 network.  The iPhone 4s unlock was approved, but the iPhone 5s unlock is repeatedly denied.  Both have been associated with my account over the years, but I have activated other devices since then.  It's strange to me that the 4s was approved but the 5s was denied.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Hello,

I am an ATT Business customer. I have already tried to request unlock deveral times in last couple of weeks. Each time it gets rejected with message

"We're unable to approve your request because the account holder information provided doesn't match our records."

This is a corporate account and I am authorized user. Phone was out of contract 6 mnths back and upgrade eligible since March 2016.

I have called cutomer care many times and each time I am asked to resubmit the unlock request as all account informatio I provide them seems to match !!

Not sure how to end this.

I am begining to question each input in the request.

Who should be account holder? Myself or the company. I believe it should be me as it askes for first and last name separately and there is separate input for Billing account name. (Which is company name)

How do I verify if I am providing the right security code? If I have forgotten it, How do I change it?

Should the email be business email, or any email to receive unlock confirmation?

Thanks

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

8 years ago

@manishee

What is on the bill?  If the bill is in your name, you are the account holder.  If the bill is written in the name "Acme something Corp, LLC, INC " then the business is the account holder.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

8 years ago

It takes time for a new device to register, and a previous device to be removed from the server.  

Activating a new device, and requesting unlock on the same day is not going to work.  

Wait 48 hours.  Contact ATT to verify the phone is eligible for unlocking,

message here >>> @ATTMobilityCare   If there was a $1 left after closing your ATT account, that may be holding up the unlock.  

Im sure you know you can use the locked phone on Cricket.  It has to be unlocked for T-Mobile or its MVNO.  It will not work on Verizon or sprint. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, I waited 48 hours and the unlock still does not work.

I don't understand why this device would still be associated with my account (it is two devices ago), while another device (three devices ago) was approved.  

@ATTMobilityCare, can you please help me?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.