For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
IOUT.IO's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, January 7th, 2018 1:44 AM

Second Hand iPhone cannot be unlocked because it is still active on the other account

Hello AT&T

Last year and a half, i bought a second hand from someone in the US but i forgot to check whether the device has been unlock from AT&T. Now, when i do want to unlock it from other country (so that i can use it in the other country), the unlock request was denied. The decline message is "Looks like the device you want to unlock is active on another AT&T account. The owner has to remove it from their account first. Did we get that wrong? If you're the owner, call 800.331.0500 or 611 from your mobile phone to confirm."

The question i want to ask is can i call to the given number to prove that i am the new owner now?

There is no way to find the previous owner.

I am sorry, if this question is not appropriate here but i really don't know how to prove that i am the new owner.

Thank you.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

I understand that unlocking a phone not going smoothly can be frustrating.  For clarification, the phone in question is currently not active on your account, correct?  I would definitely call the phone number in your post.  It could be a simple fix, i.e. the request was filled out wrong, such as you put in customer and it should have been non-customer, or vice versa.  It could be a more complicated matter, such as there is a balance on the phone.

Since contacting the previous owner is not possible, I hope you have proof of purchase, and if necessary, a remedy for refund.  If the phone has a balance due, or has been reported lost/stolen (not suggesting that it was), there could be a problem.  You may also be able to send a pm to @ATTMobilityCare.  I hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you very much for your suggested solutions. However, the other real problem is that i am now not in the US. Is there any other way that i can contact to the number above? For instance by email or something like calling from the local network in the country(i meant by using other telephone to cal since there is no service of at&t here)?

I really appreciate your reply.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

My pleasure to try to help.  You can contact AT&T on this forum by sending a pm to @ATTMobilityCare. If they can’t help, they may have a non 800 number.  Please be patient, it may take a day or two for them to respond to your message.  I hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you very much for your helps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.