For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
boppo's profile

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

Saturday, September 28th, 2013 1:41 AM

Is there a way to keep my email?

I am going to active my 5S but I want to keep all my mail that's on my 4S. I don't think the iTunes backup/restore will move those e-mails over. Anyone out there have a solution for this? Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@boppo wrote:
Well I have the pop3 server and all those e-mails have been deleted from the server, So I just wanted to move what's on my 4s to my 5s. thanks

fastest free method - setup a gmail account, forward all emails on your phone to that account, upgrade phone they forward the emails back to the phone's email address

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

If your email is on an IMAP account, thent he mail is on the server, and just adding the account back will automatically bring the email back for you.  If the email is on a POP3 server, then you will need to go the route of doing the backup/restore to get the data onto your iPhone.  As a side note, performing a backup of your old iPhone and restoring on the new should migrate the mail account settings over for you as well as the data, so I'm not sure why you think it won't.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

11 years ago

Well I have the pop3 server and all those e-mails have been deleted from the server, So I just wanted to move what's on my 4s to my 5s. thanks

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

@boppo wrote:

The backup/restore is the best option if you haven't already done any transactions on the new iPhone (email or SMS as those would get lost in the restore), but you could always forward them to yourself and pick them up on the new iPhone (although that will change the "from" address on the messages (not to mention the other header information as well).

With the limitations of POP3, and the fact that almost every server out there now supports IMAP, I don't see many POP3 configurations any more.  Some servers (like GMail) support not deleting the mail from teh server until it is picked up form multiple accounts.  You might check into that for your server as well.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

11 years ago

thanks for the replies and gmail did the trick, I just wish I got this info before I lost all my GF's email on her 5c and kept mine on my 5s 🙂 she is not a happy camper,oh well.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

11 years ago

Your girlfriend can just activate gmail on her iPhone 5C, email suppose to be restored on her 5C.😳
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.