For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
Burnicorn's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, July 14th, 2018 11:09 PM

How to enable wifi calling on iOS phone

Since updating to 11.4.1 I noticed that WiFi calling is no longer working. Tried all the options I have found. Turned on airplane mode and that doesn’t kick it over to WiFi calling. Also rebooted phone which also did nothing. Wondering if anyone else having the same issue. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same issues.....tried "solution" did not help.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

HAD No WIFI calling and was still waiting for ATT's ICU team to come up with a fix. Called ATT again and another rep told me after talking with (2) Supervisors that there is no ICO issue with WIFI calling as I was previous told by an ATT rep who also noted the ICU issue in my notes !!??  The current rep told me to turn airplane mode on, turn WIFI on and then turn airplane mode off and it worked - my WIFI calling was restored.  No further comments - it is all inscrutable .  Just moving on.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry meant ICU issue

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

The solution is how it worked before.  It does not work under IOS 11.4.1

Part of the problem appears to be the Wi-Fi service provider.  I notice that at my office which uses Level-3 - it works fine.  At home where I have Comcast / Infinity - it does not.  It may be that Comcast is blocking AT&T Wi-Fi calling.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

If you have iPhone X you will not see AT&T wifi on the main screen because of the notch. You see time in the left upper corner and service bars (or lack of bars) followed by the WiFi fan and battery icon in the upper right corner. However, if you check the upper left corner from your lock screen you might see AT&T WiFi or if you swipe down from the upper right corner to access your quick tools you might see AT&T WiFi displayed in the upper left corner. I spent a lot of time on the phone forgetting network settings and rebooting according to instructions from the AT&T rep. I just noticed the display difference a few minutes ago. I hope it is fixed because this is really frustrating. Tech support finally told me to go into an AT&T store and have them run a “smart check”. He said this would let them know if the phone needed to be replaced.  I wish for once a company would acknowledge that there is a known issue, apologize and tell you that as soon as it is resolved we will notify you. How much time did they waste for their customers and poor technicians who are kept in the dark? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I've been having this issues since ios11. What makes it worse, none of my phones now work on the microcell despite help from customer service. I've been with inconsistent WiFi calling for months now.  Att isn't even addressing it. Xfinity is looking pretty good since none of my neighbors on the Verizon radio phones are having any WiFi issues

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Same for me.  I've got an iPhone 7 running 11.4.1.  No matter what I do, I can't get wi-fi calling to work.  Although I've been an AT&T customer for over 10 years, I'm afraid to solution may be to get a Verizon phone.  I'm going to go to have a friend with a Verizon phone come to my house tomorrow to test it out.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My sister came over today with her Verizon phone.  We got her on my wi-fi network, turned on airplane mode & wi-fi, and her wi-fi calling worked great.  I couldn't pick-up the call she made to me because my AT&T phone said "no service" and would not allow wi-fi calling.  That proves its an AT&T problem to me. 

I just switched to Verizon today and I can now place wi-fi calls.  I'm a happy camper.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Here's my situation and what worked for me. Sharing my experience because this was maddening and I hope I can help as ATT and Apple were not able to help.

• iPhone X with iOS11.4.1
  • ATT cellular service
  • Comcast internet service
  • Motorola MB8600 cable modem
  • Netgear XR500 WiFi router

I get 1 bar of cell service in my house, so rely on WiFi calling. WiFi calling was not working. After trying with ATT and Apple support, I gave Netgear support a call. They solved the problem (for me), which was to disable Netgear Smart Connect on the WiFi router. This is a setting that allows the router to select the best 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band. Once that setting was disabled and I manually selected my 5 GHz SSID, WiFi calling on my iPhone X came back to life. Even if you don't have a Netgear WiFi router, you might want to check the settings in your brand of router for a similar feature that manages the best band and maintains a single SSID and password for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Hopefully this helps.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I can confirm that AT&T WIFI Calling works on Cox's internet service.

I have a new TP-LINK Archer C2300 wifi router and didn't realize that it blocked WIFI Calling.

The issue was that WIFI Calling requires IPSec Passthrough.  Once I enabled that, the AT&T WIFI logo appeared and my calls were crystal clear.

There are other potential issues that came up in my research around routers, but they appear to be around NAT Translation and automatic selection of the most optimal wifi band (i.e., 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz).  These were NOT issues for the TP-Link router.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.