For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
thejuniebug's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, July 26th, 2015 2:11 AM

Confused about eligibility for upgrade for iphone 6?

So I am on a family plan, and have had my iphone 4 for almost 3 1/2 years now. We were looking to upgrade to new iphone 6 but then my dad said that they make you pay for your phone now, but I think that is for at&t next. Anyways, we are looking in to it again and now at&t has said that we are not eligible anymore for a phone at all? We are very frustrated and confused.e have waited over 2 years and how are we not eligible? Does not make sense. I was wondering for one 1. Is there still a 2 year contract plan where you can an iphone 6 for free or at a reduced price? 2. Why would we not be eligible anymore? Thanks I could use some help

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

You can still get a 2 year contract but it must be order online or ordered and shipped from a store. Stores can only do NEXT sales.

Depending on the plan you are on, if you are on the Mobile Share Data Plan, it may be cheaper in the long run to do the NEXT program. On the Mobile Share Data Plan, you get a discount for being out of contract. Either $15 or $25 per month, depending on the data plan.

If you are on an old family plan, you can still get a 2 year contract but it must be ordered online or you can go to a corporate store and order one to be shipped.

There is talk of the 2 year contract going away completely.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

We have always paid for our phones. The cost of phones in the past was paid in part by the deposit we paid up front and the rest was included in a high line fee.

2 year contracts have been discontinued in favor of the Next installment plan. You may still be able to upgrade with a 2 year contract, but only with ATT online and your phone will be mailed to you.

For customers on the Mobile share value plan, the line fee if you enter a new 2 year contract is $40. In addition an upgrade fee of $40 and a deposit of $199-399 depending on which storage option for the iPhone 6.

Customers who use Next have a discounted line fee of $25 or $15. Plus the installment on the phone.

If you crunch the numbers you pay more on a 2 year contract than with Next.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Okay that was really helpful, the only question I have is it says online we are not eligible for an upgrade anymore even though we haven't gotten a phone in 3 1/2 years.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

That we can't answer. If you always paid on time and haven't used your upgrades, you should be able to upgrade. Not all of my lines say upgrade eligible even though my phones are all paid for.

I'm going with glitch in computer. Call to check your status.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

There have been rumors that AT&T may be doing away with contract subsidized phone altogether.  It is possible that they have done that, and if they have, you would no longer be able to get a contract subsidized phone, you would need to purchase a phone at full price.

As a side note, you can always purchase a new phone at full price and switch to that phone if you like.  If you wanted to, you could even do that the day after signing a new service contract on a phone.  You would still be bound to the contract you signed, and paying whatever fees for your subsizided phone, but you could go buy another and use it if you like.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.