For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
bboppblue13's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 8:10 PM

When can I upgrade with Next?

I've only had my phone for 3 or 4 months. How long before I can upgrade for a new phone using the next program without having to pay off the balance remaining?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

That depends on which Next plan you picked. Upgrade points are 12 or 24 months. There used to be a Next plan that allowed upgrades after 18 months but that seems to have been discontinued. You can upgrade now by making additional payments to your upgrade point. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@bboppblue13 Keep in mind that you're not really "upgrading", you purchased your phone and signed up for a no-interest payment plan, once you are done you are all paid off! Then you can keep the phone and make no more payments.

OR

There is a "buy back" point 6-8 months (depends on your plan) before you are done with your phone where they will let you turn your phone in and forgive the rest of the payments, IF you sign up for a new Next phone payment plan.  This is what is commonly refered to as an "upgrade", but you're really selling your phone and buying a new one.

FYI 1) You don't really need to wait that long, you can pay to upgrade (make all those payments early).

FYI 2) Depending on your plan, you might be better off paying off the phone and selling it (iPhones that were purchased when they were released are worth more than 6 payments 24 months later.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.