For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
ssween828's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 3:05 PM

Unable to Receive MMS Messages from Verizon Users

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm having an issue recently on my Google Nexus 5. The phone's configuration has not changed, so I'm assuming this is a network issue.

When a user on Verizon sends me an MMS message (iPhone or Android - doesn't matter) there is only a ~20% chance that it will come through. I will end up with an "image", but it's just a gray box. Other times they will come through perfectly.

I have tried changing my texting app between GoSMS Pro, Textra, and Hangouts with no resolution - the same issue presents in all cases. I even went so far as to swap my SIM into my Moto G that I use for work, and the same issue is presenting itself.

I'm assuming that something is up with the AT&T servers that are processing the image resize, as Verizon sends and recieves MMS at 1200KB per photo, whereas AT&T is capped at 600KB. I have other friends on AT&T who have shared that they're having the exact same issue over the past several weeks, so we did a test. The issue is not present from AT&T to AT&T, Verizon to Verizon, or AT&T to Verizon. It only occurs when an Verizon phone sends to an AT&T phone.

So my questions are 1) Is anyone else having this issue, 2) If anyone else is having it, have you been able to resolve it, and 3) Is there any way to tell if the issue is on AT&T's servers or Verizon's?  

Thanks!

-Sean

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

I have a note 3 on ATT and I experiance this as well when my mother sends me pictures from her s3 on vz. I thought it was just me. Its gotta be a block between the carriers either att side or vz side.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the exact same problem with my father who has a Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T. Your post is the most rational explanation I have heard yet. I have been going back and forth with AT&T for two months now. They are in the process of sending me my third Samsung Galaxy S4. I will definitely relay this information to them once I call them again. I really loved the S4 when I first bought it but I have experienced this MMS issue with my father and also now since the update 4.4.2 I go from two bars of 4G LTE to G network to Edge network to no service back to two bars of 4G. My connection is usually full service 4G LTE inside my house. My wife's iPhone 5 works perfect whereas my S4 doesnt have any service now...

SMH....first world problem...Smiley Indifferent

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have this exact same Issue, I have tried contacting ATT support, going into the store, stopping in at Verizon and chatting with Samsung. Absolutely no one can help me with this issue and blames the other person. I hope someone can figure it out soon as it is very frustrating!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Same problem! I also can't send mms to my wifes iphone anymore, it used to work....Spent 1 hr on with samsung today NO HELP

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

AT&T ADMITS PROBLEM after a combined 12 hours of troubleshooting (and at least 4 attempts by ATT to get me to buy a new phone). A technical service rep finally disclosed to me on 5/20/14 that there is a known issue between AT&T and Google (android) software. I was told both companies are currently "fighting back and forth" regarding who is to blame. Meanwhile, good paying customers are not receiving the services they pay and arm and a leg for. I sternly explained my displeasure about this and then got a $77.00 CREDIT applied to my account. But still the issue progresses... THEY KNOW that there's a problem here so DON'T let them make you buy a new phone or waste time contacting Samsung!!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Still having the same issue, calling AT&T has not helped at all... only wasted my time.  This is exactly the kind of crap that makes me want to switch to VZW when my contract is up.  I'm basically not receiving the service that I'm paying for and they have no real interest in helping.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I've had this problem for months now. I recently went to AT&T followed by Verizon. The Verizon rep tried to convert me and then was unhelpful. I asked for further assistance the he asked why I wasn't using their Message+ app instead of the default. So tried it and it worked every time. My conclusion is the Verizon did something to not allow messenger to work so customers are forced to use their app and lock them into Verizon further. So far I have not missed any photos when my Verizon friends use the Verizon app and not Messenger.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am having the same problem. I have been to the AT&T store 3 times. I was on the phone with AT&T for about 1.5 to 2 hours...they then passed me off to Samsung. Samsung basically told me I may have to go back to Verizon if I want to get MMS messages from them. It appears that may be what I have to do. I also spent about 1 hour in the AT&T store again today. I never had this problem when I was with Verizon. I have to be able to receive MMS messages because my customers send me pictures of shirts they want me to make for them.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I am unable to receive messages of any kind from verizon wireless customers on my Lumia 520. This started happening after I requested and received the unlock code for my phone. I can, however, send messages to verizon wireless customers. This problem just needs to be fixed. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This makes me really sad that the problem has been going on over long. I am having the exact problems on my Galaxy S4 for about three months. I dropped my phone and thought it was just something that happened as a result of the fall but when I got my brand new replacement phone the problem persisted. I spent two hours with Att then 2 hours with Samsung and no resolve. Today I called back to see if a sum card change could help and this rep told me she remembers reading about the issue. After looking it up she said it is a known problem between ATT and google. And until Google updates the phone with a new version, I may continue to have the problem.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.