For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
firetruck34's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, June 9th, 2016 4:12 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 update to Marshmallow

I got a tweet from @ATTCares and was told Marshmallow would be released for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 early 2016. I like many others are still waiting. When is it going to be released?

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

And as one senior tech told me once when I asked him about the bootloader being locked, he said "we are not allowed to talk about that." That my dear friend, is what are suffering with.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@ddd22 wrote:
Repeating myself here but Verizon users CDMA technology. Antiquated and not what the rest of the world uses. Stick with GSM. Even att dumped their tdma system 30 years ago at great expense to upgrade to GSM, and acquired cIngular and others to provide  modern cellular service.  Verizon cheaped out and stayed with historically old technology. If you never leave the country i guess it's fine but it's like buying an Edsel instead of a tesla. 

That might have been true years ago but all verizon phones in the last 3 years have GSM radios and they are unlocked and some of the phones have LTE bands that work on other carriers.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76Yeah, but this is somewhat misleading (not your statement, the perception).

While some/most Verizon phones now have *some* GSM bands, they don't have much "crossover" with AT&T and the other carriers, or overseas.

For example, someone with an S7 was posting the other day, and I helped him figure out why his speeds were so slow, he only had one(1) AT&T band on his phone.

While these phones may "function" as long as the tower you're near has the requisite band or two, they don't function well, particularly since none of them seem to have band12.

I can find the graphic, that shows band interoperability, and repost, if there's interest?

Bottom line: Yeah, the phones will function, but generally the user has a bad-to-horrible experience.

I think iOS devices from Verizon are an exception, not 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure, they just ship one phone, with all the antennas, like my 950XL (okay, it doesn't have Verizon's 13).

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey

thats why I said some LTE bands.  The gsm radios support both tmo and ATT.

The verizon s7 is missing band 12/17

Capture.PNG

1 Attachment

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Agreed 100%, I guess I didn't read "some of the phones" quite that way, so I added my $0.02.

Nice pic of the S7 spec, that clarifies it quite a bit.  

We had a user here a couple of days ago, and he was "topping out" around 2-3mpbs on an S7, obviously with the limited band scope.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

I was going to chime in this about the security update patch thinking it was MM but ya'll beat me to it. 

Question, has anyone had to deal with ATT insurance company on the phones? How much out of pocket might I pay for a Note 4 edge?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Agree that at&t does nothing but screw its loyal customers. I cant wait to switch to t mobile.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Another person here who is saying say-a-nara to AT&T phones. Their "update procedure" is laughable, especially when they claim it's due to reasons of "quality assurance" when the last update is crap compared to the updates of M. Running on obsolete software with no means of quickly updating is the easiest way to lose power users.

I'm a software developer who can't even test my own programs reliably on updated OS's because AT&T can't figure out an updating method that's not completely abysmal. Everyone has done it but you at&t, get your **** together.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Where did you find the ROM? At this point h*ll would freeze over before AT&T releases an official update, I just want MM security features.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Chim3ra If your an Android dev then you should have a Nexus plain and simple. As for testing it's not like Google makes it hard to test on emulators.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.