For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
dizgruntledA_T_T_Uzr's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, January 21st, 2011 6:02 PM

Removing ATT Apps

How do I get rid of all of the ATT apps on my galaxy S?  This is incredibly simple on my iPhone, but I cannot figure out how to do it on this steaming pile of Samsung. 

Any suggestions?

[Subject edited for better exposure]

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

12 years ago

Root your phone.  Its easy to do, plenty of instructions all around, there's even and easy one click.  I cian't think of a good reason not to be rooted.   Then buy Titanium Backup (2.99) and either freeze or uninstall any apps you like.  If you don't have root, it ain't your phone.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Rooting your phone is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your android phone.  Don't come crying to us on XDA when you fail to follow directions though and flash the wrong kernel and your phone gets soft-bricked.  Read, read, read.  Read again until you fully understand what you're doing. 

If I were you, just stick to rooting your phone first and learning how to create backups and removing unncessary pre-installed apk's that att fills your phone up!

If you need help, I'll me more than happy to assist you.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

12 years ago

Sometimes I wonder how much AT&T is actually making off these apps. Don't they just want to make customers happy and just allow them to remove it?

If you have a good app (e.g. myATT), it will show up in the Market ranking. There is no need to force them down people's throats.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@roblco wrote:

Sometimes I wonder how much AT&T is actually making off these apps. Don't they just want to make customers happy and just allow them to remove it?

If you have a good app (e.g. myATT), it will show up in the Market ranking. There is no need to force them down people's throats.

Please remember, none of these are actually just apps. They are services which require monthly subscription charges. The myATT app is an exception but it is there so that you don't need to call them for the information.

If only 1% actually use those services (or accidentally signed up for the service), AT&T can make enough profits out of it. Similar to desktop PCs you bought from Dell or HP. The profit for those PCs are almost entirely from the installed bloatware (which they get paid for put in those PCs, regardless you use it or not).

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I too am regreating the Samsung/AT&T combo. A word of warning! 2 things I have just found out that caused great heart ache and stress I would like to share to prevent anyone else suffering as i did. 1. Do not buy the Samsung Galaxy Note! The battery drains in less than half a day! The phone randomly powers off and the only way to restart it is to remove the battery and reinstall it. If your driving cross country and using the GPS the phone uses more power than it can be charged is short you run-out of battery while the phone is plugged into a power source. 2. do not buy the phone at Sam's club they will mess you around until the 30 days are up which you cannot return the phone. 3 . If your stupid enough to buy the phone at Sam's club do not buy there extended warranty. I had this phone only 2 months they wanted me to send in my battery at my expense doing with out a phone until they send me a new battery or item they decide to trouble shoot when I had a problem with my Apple produce they sent me a new phone right away and all I had to do is send it back in a prepaid return box which they provided. in short Samsung sucks so does Sams club. Oh yeah AT&T apps all over my phone and all of them recrier a monththly service contract costing me more money! I am tempted to just take a loss and cancel my contract only 2 months into it. This is my phone I paid for it I should have a say so onto which apps I want or not I dont need any one forcing me into any thing I would not want. I have no problem for them offering a service but I should be able to say thanks but no thanks and remove the app from my phone! When AT&T pays for my phone and my entire bill then they may have a say so but intill then stay off my property!

[word filter avoidance]

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

My Galaxy Note is fine.  It will last two days before needing a charge.  You just got burnt.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I am about to return my Galaxy 4 for this very reason. I was very exicted about moving from my iPhone to Samsung......until I got the phone. There are so many redundant, non integrated, overlapping, and in some cases just plain bad apps on this phone. So, no problem right? Well, wrong. When I went to remove them, I couldn't. When I then went to at least put them into organized folders so I could clean up the screen - Google for Google apps, ATT for their mostly attrocious stuff,etc. - I couldn't.

Either I'm missing some smooth, easy, customer respectful way to do this, or this is the most aggregious case of customer manipulation I've ever see. 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You're kidding - right? I've been using, occassionally programing computers for 25 years. I get what you're saying, but hey - this should not be a bloated Windows experience. This is my frigging phone.

Former Moderator

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

Moved for better exposure

Scholar

• 

70 Messages

10 years ago

Seriously?
Where is S3 update?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.