For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Xjeepguy's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, November 8th, 2013 5:31 AM

Oh goodie, more bloatware...

So I read this article:  http://techland.time.com/2013/11/07/att-makes-android-users-consider-anti-malware-shots/

All I have to say is this "upgrade" had better be optional. I do not want this garbage on my phones. It's bad enough I have to deal with all the other spam that came pre-loaded on MY devices that I cannot delete, but now you want to add a useless "antivirus" program on an OS that is simply not necessary if you posess common sense. 

You don't want people to root their device, but it's the only way to clear the device's limited memory of nonsense like this. And yes, I know I can disable it, I just don't think I should have to tie up valuable memory with junk I will never use. 

Please think before you push nonsense like this. There are other options for those of us that disagree. 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

There are two issues that I have with these companies doing these things.  One is that AT&T presents it like it's in our best interest while the reality is that it's nothing but an opportunity for more money for AT&T.  Two is that any intelligent person can choose which anti-virus program to use or to not use one at all.  That should be the phone user's choice, not the cellular carrier's choice.

I look forward to the time when cellular service providers become just that-service providers.  Stop messing with the devices that work on the network.  In fact, please stop selling them at all.  Maybe that will get rid of the temptation to tamper with devices that don't belong to the service provider in the first place.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

There are two issues that I have with these companies doing these things.  One is that AT&T presents it like it's in our best interest while the reality is that it's nothing but an opportunity for more money for AT&T.  Two is that any intelligent person can choose which anti-virus program to use or to not use one at all.  That should be the phone user's choice, not the cellular carrier's choice.

I look forward to the time when cellular service providers become just that-service providers.  Stop messing with the devices that work on the network.  In fact, please stop selling them at all.  Maybe that will get rid of the temptation to tamper with devices that don't belong to the service provider in the first place.

I couldn't agree with you more. At least with AT&T I have the option of using my own bloatware-free device (haven't used a branded phone since the days of TDMA), but would certainly welcome that across the board.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

I'm 100000% behind you on this one.

I don't need AT&T Address Book. My phone comes with one.

I know the excuse that we're given that bloatware is added to phones to help offset the cost of subsidization.

It's great that you can pay 0.00-199.00 for a new phone.

You still pay the full, if not more, cost of the phone over the length of your contract.

Some people love bloatware apps and custom ui's that carriers and their partners install into phones.

The option to disable/delete most of this software is a nice thing.

Not being able to disable/uninstall all of it is ignorant.

Look at the LG G2.  You can uninstall/disable/remove almost 60 apps/processes that are carrier/partner installed.

Manufacturer specific UIs are horrid as well.

You have an android. Google releases the SDK/update for the new Android version.

You wait 6months for the update, if at all, because TouchWiz from Samsung has to be incorporated and ATT bloatware needs to be on there too.

Updates aren't profitable. Better for the bottom line to stick them with the same device for 2 years and start the cycle over.

Not all updates are that significant. KitKat (for those with Android phones) is. Wireless printing is a pretty big deal for many people. It'll take months, if ever, for phones other than Google owned phones to get it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.