Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
shmal96's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 3:09 PM

How to use AT&T wifi calling on an unlocked phone?

So I currently have an AT&T plan with an AT&T LG G4. I just bought an unlocked Galaxy S8 from Samsungs Website, planning on using that to update my current AT&T line. After I bought it, I was reading up on unlocked phones because i didn't know much other than you can switch carriers if you want to (But i'm not planning on doing that, I just bought it because it was $30 cheaper than the ATT-version, plus it came in a color that wasn't available from the ATT-version. I came across many fourms saying that services such as Wi-fi calling wouldn't work with an unlocked phone on AT&T, and that stressed me out because I use that service a lot for texts in my work building b/c of spotty cell reception. 

I'm confused though because I called up AT&T and asked if i'd be able to use Wi-fi calling on this unlocked phone, and they said I can. They just said that i'll have to 'update the device information with the new one and set up the features on the device'. They also said the only situation that might affect the service is if the device is 'blacklisted', but it wasn't, so they said I'd be able to use 'all my services if the device information is correctly updated in our system'. I asked again for clarity if I can bring this unlocked phone to an ATT store and they can update my line and still be able to use Wi-fi calling, and they said that's correct, you just may need a new SIM card.

I'm confused because nowhere online in my research did I find anyone who was able to use unlocked phones with Wi-Fi calling, but those articles were at least a month old, so maybe they changed their policy? I made it as clear as possible what I was asking. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jonmcphs wrote:

VoLTE is not wifi calling dumby

VoLTE is a prerequisite for other features including wifi calling, number sync and call Protect.  

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

7 years ago

I am currently using on ATT's prepaid multiline plan. I am considering purchasing a previously used iPhone SE and putting it on the plan. I need to know the following:
1. Is the SE model capable of VoLTE, wifi calling, number sync, and call protect?
2. Is there a difference in software or hardware between a carrier locked and a prepaid iPhone SE?
3. If the iPhone SE is a prepaid phone that is not yet unlocked, will I be able to later unlock it if I am using it on my prepaid plan?
4. Will I have any problems upgrading iOS versions if I get a used phone that hasn't been upgraded?
5. How can I be certain that the used iPhone is an ATT branded phone? 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Yet7gn wrote:

I am currently using on ATT's prepaid multiline plan. I am considering purchasing a previously used iPhone SE and putting it on the plan. I need to know the following:
1. Is the SE model capable of VoLTE, wifi calling, number sync, and call protect?
2. Is there a difference in software or hardware between a carrier locked and a prepaid iPhone SE?
3. If the iPhone SE is a prepaid phone that is not yet unlocked, will I be able to later unlock it if I am using it on my prepaid plan?
4. Will I have any problems upgrading iOS versions if I get a used phone that hasn't been upgraded?
5. How can I be certain that the used iPhone is an ATT branded phone? 

I'll stop you right there..  PREPAID does not get wifi calling VoLTE or any other advance feature.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for your answer. When I went to ask another question a few minutes ago, that topic came up and I saw that you are correct. Bummer. I was hoping it could help my daughter at college who often has bad reception. Does anyone know why? Is it just a marketing ploy to get you to a contract plan or is there something different in how a prepaid plan that actually makes that feature difficult?

So, I assume it makes not one difference which kind of unlocked iPhone I get then? Is an unlocked prepaid iPhone any different than an unlocked contract phone or a factory unlocked?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Yet7gn

as long as you’re going prepaid, get a Verizon phone.  Verizon does allow Wifi calling on prepaid. 

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

7 years ago

Okay, now I am confused, @lizdance40. If a prepaid plan does not support VoLTE, how would a Verizon unlocked phone help?

Also, wouldn't I be losing some bands or something else by going with another carrier's branded phone instead of ATT or factory unlocked, besides the bloatware from Verizon?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

I mean use Verizon....  

If using prepaid services there is no long term commitment.  She can use Verizon as long as needed. She can even use the iphone on ATT afterwards as Verizon doesn’t lock phones.

And you were talking iphone SE.  the iPhone SE is the same phone and is not “branded”

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

7 years ago

Oh! I see. We can't use Verizon where we live. It doesn't provide enough coverage area on our daily commute. My daughter might be able to at college, but on the ATT multiline plan, Verizon can't compete with the low cost of less than $20 (I think it will be $17.50/person for 4 people) for unlimited talk and text - at least from what I have seen. Also, I plan to see if the ATT phone will work better at my mother's house and switch her to our plan instead of my sibling's Verizon plan because my mother barely gets coverage at her house. Thanks for the info, though. It might help someone else.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Yet7gn Just would hate to hear she can’t call home for money.   Lol.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

7 years ago

Well, when I was her age, we didn't have phones and I only called home for 5 minutes once in 9 months. LOL! Money is money - and we have to choose where to spend it. She can go to college and study abroad or make calls home. She gets to choose. She can call from her new room just fine for now. When she is traveling, she will be able to email.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.