For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
iowajoe's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, October 1st, 2016 2:07 AM

How do I get the unlock code prompt on my GoPhone?

I bought a ZTE Max 2 (Z958) gophone because I wanted to use my Tracfone GSM.

I received the email containing the unlock code and followed directions. I removed the ZTE from the packaging, removed backcover and took out the ATT gophone sim, put in my Tracfone sim, put in the battery and booted it up for the first time as per the instructions.

However when I booted up the phone it started with the usual Android setup wizard. I never got a screen prompting me to enter an unlock code. I figured maybe perhaps the ZTE Zmax 2 is unlocked already, so I went ahead and made a call and tested mobile data and it worked fine.

So I started setting up my phone and downloading my apps etc. Then when I had to receive a text message to verify an app I got nothing. Tried making a call and got a message saying "Welcome to ATT Wireless, press 1 for assistance", then a male voice saying something about my service not being activated at purchase.

I had to talk to Tracfone chat support because when I put the Tracfone sim back in my old phone I was getting the same error message. After nearly 30 minutes support was able to fix whatever it was on their end and I can make calls and use data on the ZTE again, but I dont know how long that will last.

Is there any way to force an unlock screen so I can enter my ATT unlock code?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Just so I get the goal right...

you are using tracfon for service, and bought an ATT phone and got the unlock code from ATT

to unlock the phone, you have to install the non ATT SIM card. Then you get a pop up to unlock.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40

Reread his post. He installed the Tracfone sim and didn't get the unlock screen but got welcome to AT&T.

It may be that the phone will not be unlockable it he purchased a gophone from AT&T. Why buy a phone locked to AT&T if you are never going to use the phone on AT&T. If the phone was a reduced rate, chances are that it will be locked to AT&T for 6 months.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

I admit. It confused me.  If he got an unlock code though???

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I have a Tracfone GSM sim that I used in my Blu Studio X. The ZTE ZMax 2 was on sale for $50 from best buy, and I've read that GoPhones can work on Tracfone (given that Tracfone is an ATT MVNO) if they are unlocked. 

I sent in the IMEI to request an unlock code as soon as I got the Gophone. 24 hours later I got the code and followed directions. Took the phone out of the package, removed the ATT Simcard and replaced it with my Tracfone Simcard. Installed battery and booted the phone. NO UNLOCK CODE screen, it went straight to the usual android phone setup process. 

I made an outgoing call and it went thru, as well as a quick speedtest using mobile data. It worked. So I went about setting up my phone by downloading my apps etc. Then setting up Waze I needed to receive a text message but it never came, thats when I noticed no network available. When I removed the simcard and put it back in my Blu Studio X, I got the same error message that the ZTE gave me.

I chatted with Tracfone support and after 40 minutes or so they fixed something on their end. I had plenty of minutes/data so Im not sure what happened. As of now the ZTE is working with my Tracfone sim just fine, but Im going back and forth with ATT twitter support to see why I never got an unlock prompt. Will post updates here.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

You can access the unlock screen on that phone (with pretty much *any* SIM installed), by going to the phone keypad and using this sequence: "*983*865625#" (without the quotes).

From there, you should be able to click on "unlock", and use your code that you recieved.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

That code doesnt work. I DM'd ATT support via Twitter and after they asked for my number etc I havent heard back since Friday. My ZTE works just fine so I can only assume either the phone was unlocked from the start, or my Tracfone SIM works on Gophones like the ZTE without needing to be unlocked. I would like an answer either way but I'll take it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

One of two possibilities, either the phone is unlocked, or a locked phone works with the tracfone SIM.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.