For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
shawnc1959's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 1:15 AM

Google Hangouts replacing default SMS app

I have an HTC Inspire running the last AT&T-provided Android update (v2.3.5 with HTC Sense v3.0).  I just received what I assume is the latest update of Google Hangouts (v.2.0.128), which I thought was the version that allowed you to replace the default SMS app with Hangouts for sending/receiving texts.  However, I don't see any option in Hangouts to tell it to be the SMS app.  Is this an issue with this being an older version of Android or the fact that AT&T (or HTC) has somehow locked it so the default SMS app cannot be replaced?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

I'm not 100% sure, but based on what I read online, an option to replace a default SMS app is only available in KitKat. Are you able to send text messages in Hangouts app?

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

You have to have jelly bean (4.1-4.3) in order to use sms on hangouts.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Since posting my question, I've found an article on Google's own support pages which indicates you need Android v4.0 or greater in order to use Hangouts for SMS texting:

Send text messages with Hangouts on Android

So not restricted just to KitKat, but definitely not going to work on my older OS.  😕  I've been contemplating trying to put a custom ROM on this phone for a while, so maybe this is another reason to look into this.

I am curious for anyone who does have a newer OS and is using Hangouts for texting ... does it properly support group messages with iPhone users (where you see the messages and replies in a threaded  context, and not just as individual texts)?  That was my main interest in the new version of Hangouts (since the rest of my family use iPhones and I can get bit lost when included in a group message where there are multiple ongoing replies).

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for clarifying guys!

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.