For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
samcham's profile

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

Monday, November 17th, 2014 11:06 PM

Galaxy S4 Battery Life Since Nov. 14 Update

My S4 got the OTA update to 4.4.4, build KTU84P.I337UCUFNJ4 on November 14.  Ever since, my battery life has been horrible.  I've checked all of the usual culprits - location services, multi-window, air view, air gesture, smart stay, etc., and they're all disabled.  Power saving mode is enabled.  Sync is on for my Gmail account, but it was on before the update.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or is it just me?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

My battery life is gone in half the day now. Used to only have to charge it every other day . WHy is this happening? My phone is moving so slow now. I want the 4.4.2 back.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, you are not the only one.  I received the update this morning and the battery was drained within 4 hours and was charging much more slowly than normal.  I attempted a factory reset, removed and disabled all unnecessary apps, I have all gesturing/nearby devices/etc disabled and still am experiencing a severe battery drain.  My phone is also getting very hot and feels like it may overheat soon.  This did not occur before the 4.4.4 update and I could get a day and a half between charges on 4.4.2.  I would like to downgrade AT&T, please.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

ok just do a factory reset and see if that fixes it.  There has to be an app causing the bat drain.

I always do a full wipe when I get new software.  Its not like google does not backup everything these days if you have it turned on

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

9 years ago

I do have Google set up propoerly, but it does not back up everything!  It doesn't remember user IDs and passwords for all apps, nor does it remember your home screen layout. 

When I do a factory reset, it still takes an hour or two to get things back exactly the way they were.  This is the second update in a row that has caused immediate problems with battery life.  You'd think AT&T would test these things. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

one would think.  On my nexus 5 it does back up all data.  And reinstalls all my apps

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

The app that is causing it on my phone I believe is Mail. Unfortunately, I can't turn it off or even open in fully to remove my accounts and start over.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I have resolved the issue on my S4 and battery life is back to typical levels for me.  At first, it appeared to be the email app, however, I removed all email accounts, cleared cache, rebooted, added accounts back and no change.  I backed up, factory reset the phone, restored and no change.  Entered recovery mode and wiped the cache partition.  That improved about 50 percent of my battery life.  I still noticed that Android System and Android OS were utilizing more of the battery percentage than normal and I could still feel the phone getting hot even when not in use.  I uninstalled the update to the Play Store app, rebooted the phone and launched the Play Store again, which installed the update again.  This made a huge improvement.  I also turned off my Google backup and verified the Syncing with my Google account was disabled.  At this point, I am back to typical battery life.  I know some of these options may not be acceptable to some people, but this is what corrected my situation.  I cannot pinpoint exactly what caused it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.