For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
GLIMMERMAN76's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

Thursday, April 16th, 2015 3:11 PM

Closed

GUIDE TO ANDROID LOLLIPOP UPDATES IF YOU'RE NOT AN AT&T CUSTOMER!

If you're not an AT&T customer you will not get updates since you are not connected to the AT&T network. AT&T is checking the IMEI of the phone through the cell network before telling the device to update. Here is a list of phone OEM's and if there is a work around...

(For those in the USA, if you have a friend that has AT&T service, put their SIM card in the phone and it will update).

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

SAMSUNG

At the moment there is no work around for updating a samsung device. There are no updates on KIES 3 to flash the lollipop update. There are work arounds for older phones before the Galaxy S5. The Note 4 and Alpha, there are no work arounds as the bootloaders still are locked down tight.

LG 

LG has not posted the lollipop updates for download anywhere on there site. There are work arounds for this phone just google it.

HTC 

Out of all the OEM's HTC has done it right.

This page has all the updates that are available. http://www.htc.com/us/support/rom-downloads.html

Follow the instructions for the specific phone and you will be good to go.

MOTOROLA

With the exception of the Nexus 6 (firmware here https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images) There are no posted update files on the moto website.

I hope this guide helps some of you know where you stand with your phones.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

Great post @GLIMMERMAN76. You might add a couple of tags to make it easier to search for, though I don't think many people do a search before posting the same question over and over.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@Busternutt

Main reason I did this post on Android updates was so I could just repost the link in the posts as they come in.  I will add some tags.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Howdy,

Glimmerman, do you have any inside info on if and when AT&T will be posting an update for the LG G Pad 7.0? I did a search on Google and couldn't find any information about where or how I could download the darned thing.

I swore I wasn't going to get another Samsung or LG phone or tablet because those companies flat don't provide updates for their devices. It loolks like they haven't changed, unfortunately. A sixth sense (and my son) were telling me not to take this enticement from AT&T. Should have listened to him.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

this is what I use for checking updates as they are usually spot on.

http://www.androidpit.com/android-5-0-lollipop-phone-update-news

I got the wife a galaxy tab s wifi.  I stay away from carrier versions

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the link. l sure appreciate it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Question: Will simply placing an AT&T SIM into the phone allow for the update, or does the SIM have to be registered?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@AndroidTerry wrote:

Question: Will simply placing an AT&T SIM into the phone allow for the update, or does the SIM have to be registered?

sim has to be registered with the ATT network in the united states.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I appreciate what you have shared to everyone, it's really helpful to me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.