For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Asuvemt's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 6th, 2013 12:50 AM

Custom firmware on Galaxy s3 - legal under contract?

Hello everyone!

I recently got a Galaxy S3 a month ago, and found out that a lot of the apps that are preinstalled are next to useless for me and would like to flash CyanogenMod onto the device. Before I even step into rooting and custom roms, I want to make sure that I am in the clear before I actually go through with it.

Details:

- Galaxy S3, at&t version, android version 4.1.2

- Upgraded to phone via 2 year contract, paid $100 up front.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Man, everyone and their mother on this forum will tell you that using a custom ROM is akin to Satanism and should be avoided at all cost.

That said, once you root your device (which is essentially step 1), your warranty is gone. BUT, you have a Samsung, and because you have a Samsung, you have ODIN...which is almost as good.

Happy flashing.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

11 years ago

If you ask me, CyanogenMod beats the stock Samsung ROM any day. Not to mention that you can put Android 4.3 on your S3 that way 😉

Just make sure to back up everything of importance that doesn't get stored in the cloud or on the external SD card. As jii said, nothing illegal about it, just voiding the warranty.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Modifying your phone technically voids your warranty.  But aside from that, there is nothing stopping you from doing so.   The device is yours to do what you will.  The phone may have been purchased for a subsidized price, but its still purchased, not a lease, loan, rent-to-own, etc.  You are bound to the 2-year contract (and have to pay ETF if you terminate it), but AT&T does not own the device in any way, shape, or form. 

In a business model sense, AT&T spreads the cost of the subsidy over the course of the contract.  But this all happens "behind the scenes".   Technically, the device is not really a part of the contract, despite what many think.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.