Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
therealIVARR's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Friday, April 13th, 2018 11:18 PM

keeping my service active

i had virgin mobile for something like 15-18 years but they very recently here where i live dropped the ability to use only a flip phone, which is also all i need or want, so i switched my # over to ATT, it seems just at 3 months ago, it's very rare that i ever use a phone, so i only needed the 25 cents a minute plan and am thrilled about the fact i finally get good signal at my house, i knew virgin was horrible, but i had been under the impression that they didn't allow you to take your number to a different carrier. maybe they had that policy when i first got them and i simply never bothered to check if that had changed, or maybe i was just entirely wrong from the start. anyway, my only question is how much is the minimum i MUST add to my account to keep it active, i just looked at my account online, and it says my account is due on tuesday the 17th even though i have cash left in my balance ???

thanks to any and all that help out or answer

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

561 Messages

6 years ago

If you are on the 25 cent/min plan, you are on the pay as you go plan where you must add funds prior to the expiration date to keep the plan and funds going.  If you let it expire before adding funds, you will lose your current funds.  If you add $10 up to $25 you extend the plan by 30 days.  If you add $25 up to $99, you extend the plan 90 days.  If you add $100+ you extend the plan by 365 days.  You get to decide how much you want to add.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Unfortunately, any money put on prepaid can’t just sit there indefinitely, it has an expiration date as explained above. The cheapest option for you is the $100 refill that is good for 365 days. Otherwise, the minimum refill is $10 but that is only good for 30 days. Refilling $10 every 30 days adds up to $120 per year. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

This is my experience as of 10/08/2018:
When I leave the US, I normally have to call +1800.901.9878 to change my $0.25/minute plan due to a bug in the plan system/my number.
The bug has now been fixed and I was able to change from by monthly plan to the minute plan on the web, thereby loosing all my credit btw.

I then called +1800.901.9878 - (option 0 to get an operator) and asked to have my number extended for 8 months. She said I would have to put $10 (+ tax) on the account to get it extended by a year. I paid my money and now the number is extended to June 18, 2019. I did wonder why she went for 8 months rather than 12; but I was not going to argue, as I will back before then anyway.

I have previously been told on this forum that this is not the case. I must have VIP status; because I have been doing this for 5 years and it works every time.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

I have previously been told on this forum that this is not the case. I must have VIP status; because I have been doing this for 5 years and it works every time.

@IanAHenderson Let’s put it this way, there is no way to get 8 months for a $10 refill if done online. That can only be done by a customer service rep. We often here of customer reps extending the expiration date when requested. I don’t think it’s because you have VIP status.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

That is great news for everybody, if all it takes is a call to a service rep. For the record it took me 6 minutes 34 seconds on the phone to get it extended.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.