Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
CEG3rd's profile

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

Saturday, August 17th, 2019 11:41 PM

Mobile Data Usage

I've been a "GoPhone" customer for 15 years I'm pretty certain.  I've had the 10 cent plan all that time, because I seldom did anything, but connect to wi-fi.  I actually had a balance of just under 500.00 at 25.00 every 90 days at one point.  Anyway, I now have data and am trying to use it sparingly.  What I am curious about is if AT&t ever usages my mobile data when I'm connected to the web by wi-fi if I have mobile data enabled.  Also, am I right in noting that iHeart Radio consumes a good bit of data?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

Try to enjoy it.   Prepaid plans are an inexpensive way to get a nice lump of data.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@CEG3rd wrote:

I've been a "GoPhone" customer for 15 years I'm pretty certain.  I've had the 10 cent plan all that time, because I seldom did anything, but connect to wi-fi.  I actually had a balance of just under 500.00 at 25.00 every 90 days at one point.  Anyway, I now have data and am trying to use it sparingly.  What I am curious about is if AT&t ever usages my mobile data.  Your phone tells you exactly what apps or services use data.  Look in settings, mobile/cellular data usage 

when I'm connected to the web by wi-fi.  Mobile data and Wifi are different.  If you are using Wifi at home, you are not using mobile/cellular data.  

if I have mobile data enabled. 

Also, am I right in noting that iHeart Radio consumes a good bit of data?  Less than video, but more than email or web browsing.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

No, AT&T does not use your mobile data. Your phone is what uses data. When you are connected to WiFi, your phone should only use the WiFi and not the mobile data but that depends on your phone and the phone settings. You totally control whether the phone uses mobile data or not. The phone will simply use whatever internet connection is available to it. Yes, streaming music will use up a good bit of data. 

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

5 years ago

OK.  Thanks!  I would have assumed whenever I'm connected to wi-fi my mobile data is ignored, even if enabled.  Yep, it seems just listening to talk radio on iHeart consumes MB's of data.  I guess naively I thought it would be more like KB's just to listed to a radio station.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

5 years ago

I'm on the 1 gig plan and the website site indicates that after that runs out you will still have data at 128 kbps.  Do you find that to be typical or can it actually be a little higher?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@CEG3rd wrote:

I'm on the 1 gig plan and the website site indicates that after that runs out you will still have data at 128 kbps.  Do you find that to be typical or can it actually be a little higher?

Your plan specifically says after you use up your high speed data, your speed will be a max (maximum) of 128 kbps.    It is a capped plan.  No overage charges, but it’s not meant to be usable 

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

5 years ago

OK.  Thanks.  My login is on the old website and the language is a little different.  I was confused by language on a MVNO site that uses the ATT network I misread.  I had gotten the impression they say 1.28 too, but the real world experience might be a little higher.  Oh well, after all these years carrying smart phones with no data I'm finally learning how it works.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.