For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Lilabetc's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 13th, 2018 7:51 PM

Number calling me not in service

I hsve had numerous phone calls from the same number over the past several days. I usually do not answer calls from unknown numbers. I did finally pick up on this one but did not say anything and got disconnected. So then I called the number back and got a recording saying that number was not in service. How can a number  not in service be calling me?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

6 years ago

It's called spoofing.  They even spoof numbers from legitimate numbers and it's a growing problem.  The FCC and all the Telco's have been try to find a solution to the problem for over a year.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

You've GOT to be kidding me!  A company SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED that they STILL TRANSMIT SPOOFED CALLS?  THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!  C'mon, Engineers, FIGURE IT OUT & FIX IT!  Also, another problem I have is when I continue to receive calls with CALLER ID UNKNOWN when I AM NOT SUPPOSED TO RECEIVE ANY CALLS WITHOUT A CALLER ID.  If you guys don't fix these 2 problems soon, I'm shutting-OFF my Land-Line and moving solely to my Cell Phones.  At least, using them, you can BLOCK A BOGUS CALL, AFTER THE FACT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I've been getting not one, but many calls like that.  They stopped for a while after I got a new number.  I registered in a few places incduincl Facebook, and I am getting those calls quite often.

Sometimes, is not a disconnected number, but a person telling me that she didn't call me.  That the phone service does random calls with her number.   Other times, is some car expired warranty or offering insurance.  

Because of that, nobody that matters can contact me, because I don't pick up thinking that it's another random call, since almost every call to my phone is a gosh call.

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

5 years ago

If your search this forum or use your favorite search engine you'll find many topics on spoofed and robocalls.  This is not new and there's many topics that address what's being done and what you can do. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Blocking a spoof call from a cell works temporarily till they call the next time with a whole different spoof number. Those of us companies who have high Google search traffic get a ton of these each and Every week. They drive me Mad!!! Hard to run an your business efficiently when having to stop and answer 25 to 60 of these each day. FCC, please focus on this and pass new laws with spam fines for this issue. They are clearly spamming us all to death these days. ~Allen B with Allen's Carpet Cleaning in Huntsville AL.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Sorry but that will not help either! I’m getting these calls from phone numbers not in service both on my landline and my cell phone too. 

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

5 years ago

What doesn't help?  This topic is just for information.  If you want to see the latest information on this issue check this link

3 years ago

This is my issue also. WHY AT&T and FCC are these issues NOT RESOLVED?!?

You have literally had YEARS to resolve them in this high tech world.

And the problems are STILL THE SAME!

We are not totally ignorant consumers. 
IF you do not do your jobs, IF you do not DO your responsibilities because you are being paid HUGE INCOMES AT OUR EXPENSE, then you will pay the price in CONSUMER RAGE. 

We are not totally helpless out here. 
FCC, we can sue you and the individuals that are failing us. 

AT&T, perhaps it is time for a (Edited per community guidelines) SUIT. 

Don’t think we cannot take you down. 
The bigger they are, the harder they fall. 
And I would pray that it falls heavily right on top of those who are CAUSING US DAILY GRIEF, those at the top who DO NOT CARE. 
I am not the only one who is FURIOUS!

DO SOMETHING or pay the consequences!!!

BASTA!

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

As far as Im concerned the phone company should have a option to be able to block any number that is not a legitimate land line or cell number. Its amazing i can copy the number, pay for a service, and that service can tell me if its a land line, cell, or voip. If it is a voip number the data packet that is used to show information about it to the system knows where it comes from and I should have an option to block voip numbers. If I pay I can get that information from 3rd party site but a phone service provider can't. It is all about the money. Their attitude is, we are not responsible, those burner numbers provided by Google play and they are legal to use. So in stead get Google to stop supporting them or get a law passed to make the illegal. Not our job to fix what others use thats legally usable. Even though some people have received over 100 of these calls a day. Never mind that an abuser can call a victim 100 times a day and the police can't do anything because of no traceable evidence to where it came from. Best part of it all, at&t offer voip numbers that we all have these problems with. So any argument they have to why the can't stop is pure lies.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

At&t offer the service of voip numbers so if they block them or get them made illegal, at&t would say goodbye to millions of dollars in profit. So don't ever expect the glutenous greed mongers to give up that profit.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.