For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
loyalornot's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, July 3rd, 2016 2:24 PM

Free Samsung TV offer . Loyalty does not pay!

I have been an AT&T customer since the 1980s, a DirecTV customer since 2008. I've had as many as 6 cell phones, a landline and WiFi till that service was discontinued in my area. I have upgraded my services at every offer. Feb 2014,  I purchased a Moto-x phone in FL and they dropped my bundle package. After contacting AT&T every other month with problems I was having with my new phone, they told me it was because there was no service in Punta Gorda FL., I used it for texting only and used my husband's phone for actual calls.  Jan 2016 they finally informed me it was defective. I still paid my bill on time and when I returned home I  went to get another phone. During my conversation with the AT&T rep I told her I was going to buy a TV. She said if I purchased the Samsung 7 edge I would get a free one. Great, so I did on April 4th 2016.   3 months later I was told I am not qualified as I had to be a NEW CUSTOMER!  I have brought my DirecTV modems back and forth to FL, kept my poorly working cell phones and paid my bills on time for all these years and my reward? Nothing!  Had I  cancelled my services before leaving FL, I would have qualified.  My question is:  WHY SHOULD I EVER WANT TO REMAIN A LOYAL CUSTOMER??

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

I submitted another to Samsung as I have a Samsung tablet, Flight 11 phone, TV, Electric range and now the Samsung Edge7. LOYALTY DOES NOT PAY WITH THEM EITHER! 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

This is the offer, and it was specific, but being a new customer was not a requirement.  

Please carefully read the offer below to see if you skipped any of the requirements.   

If you did the offer would not be honored.   (Did you use Next 24?)

If you fulfilled your part, then you can contact ATT by private message @ATTMobilityCare

If you have already terminated one or both ATT services, your out of luck.

image.jpg

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

198 Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance

Imagine buying a new car based on a sales promotion on interest rate.

Even at a car dealership, they verify your eligibility before you sign on the dotted line.

Once you sign, the agreement is binding to both parties.

In the AT&T world things are quite different...

the sales person (phone, store, chat) tells you qualify for a promotion.

you sign on the dotted line

then after a few months your monthly car payments go up

AT&T explanation is "you did not qualify for the deal" 

You complain and AT&T points to the small letters.

Even car dealerships have learned to make sure there are no discrepancies between what is in the contract and the customer's expectations because they know comebacks are messy and involve lawyers.

AT&T does not seem to have learned that lesson yet.  I expect them to get sued for this and they should.

It appears to me that the entire AT&T scheme is geared towards creating deliberate one-sided comebacks, while the customer is locked in after 15 days.

The only protection the consumer has is to separate the hardware from the service transaction.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

This is another case of poorly trained employees.

Here is the rule of thumb I think everyone has to adopt....good deals are designed to bring in new business, so if you're a current customer don't expect anything, read carefully and read again.

I had to read twice before I picked out this line...

image.jpeg

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

When I went to AT&T center to purchase a new phone, the sales rep told me if I purchased the Samsung 7 edge I would get a free TV. She asked if I had DirecTV and with the phone purchase, I qualified. After calling Samsung promotions directly to complete the website form, she too, said it was accepted. Still not hearing anything further I began calling each company and constantly being re-directed back and forth. One says I'm eligible and the other says I should receive it. Just received an email from Samsung stating I am not qualified as I needed to be a new customer.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

I  met the requirements. Told by an email from Samsung I must have new service

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

You do have to have a new line of service. Existing customers do not qualify. The original flyer given with the purchase of the Samsung Edge7 is ambiguous and the sales representatives are not properly educated on the qualification requirements. This is the fault or deliberate misuse of their advertising/marketing firm to get new business. Unfortunately I was duped into purchasing a phone I did not intend to buy.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

I did not receive the info you are showing. I received a flyer listing 4 things I will need and where to register. Someone could have saved me a lot of time and grief if given the correct info 3 months ago. This includes AT&T agent on phone twice , as well as Samsung agent on phone 4 times. I truly feel I was duped into buying this  phone and now I'm obligated for 2 years.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

BTW, not to dig or anything, but your explanation above of the car-dealer scenario is almost exactly what happened that caused our last recession, due to bogus re-packaging of marginal mortgages and such. This was particularly those bundled with people who were already under-water on their houses, due to variable interest, balloon payments and a whole host of other factors.

On the consumer side, BANKS (not car dealerships) were telling people they qualified, pretty much if they could lift the pen to sign, talk about sketchy.  They also failed to explain the details of their loans, somehow thinking it wouldn't be a problem when their payments tripled, hmm... ;-]  

I had a friend, very bright software guy, tried to talk him into a slightly more expensive but fixed-rate deal, at the time, but he ended up losing his house instead, talk about a bum deal.

On the advertising, yeah, some of it is a bit "marginal" and you do have to dig around the small print, in order to make very sure you're going to qualify.

I used to think I did a pretty good job of this. However, helping in various forums, over the years, has taught me that at-best, I did a marginal job.  It's frustrating to read/interpret so much fine-print, but necessary...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.