For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Larry42's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Sunday, January 14th, 2018 3:18 PM

Are New Phones Required to Switch from AT&T POTS Landline Service to AT&T Internet Phone Service?

HI. I currently have AT&T POTS Landline phone service. I'm considering the switch to AT&T Internet Home Phone service. Would that switch require me to buy new home phones, or is there some way I could still use my current house phones with the new Internet Phone service?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

6 years ago

You can continue to use the same phones.  Your phone jacks won't work unless they are rewire to feed from the modem.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

No, new phones are NOT required, I was able to use my old phones, and it didn't involve any rewiring at all to use my old phone jacks. I just had to run a new phone extension cord from the RG to an unused phone wall jack. That connected my VOIP service to my house wiring so all the old phone jacks work.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks spoom2. Will AT&T tech do that as part of the installation process?

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

6 years ago

I really don't know if they will do it or not, you'll have to ask.  If they do I'm sure there'd be an extra charge. 

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

OK, Thanks. Is there any downside to doing it that way (other than the installation cost may be as much as buying new phones 🙂  )?

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

6 years ago

You could always get a multi-handset phone system and plug the base unit into the jack on the modem and forget the homes wiring if that works for you and you don't have an extremely large home where coverage would be an  issue.  This is really a personally issue, I prefer to be able to use the house wiring if it's in good shape. I've rewired several homes it's not that hard to do if you have some basic wiring knowledge. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.