For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Vbaipsys's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 2nd, 2019 7:37 PM

Keeping my ATT.net email address.

I have an ATT phone and DSL Internet service.  If I cancel the DSL service can I still keep my ATT.net address?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Yes.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I can't sign in to my email.  have tried numerous times. can you help me?

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have a Bellsouth.net email; and, no longer use the AT&T service. How can I keep my bellsouth email?

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I have asked the same question darrel. Go ahead and put your laptop down or let go of your mouse, turn around, and start banging your head against the wall, because as far as I know, there is no simple phone support to answer this question. It would be great if they helped on here, but after a day or two they are going to ask you a question instead of simply answering your question, then after another period of time, this will happen again. Its incredibly painful. I am starting over again. Good luck.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

3 years ago

The official answer is you can keep your att.net (bellsouth.net, etc.) address, as long as your account terminated in good standing (i.e. you do not own them money or equipment).  However, there is no real support available, since you do not have an account.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

The common response to the question posed here seems to be a simple, "Yes".   No elucidation, no discussion of what, if anything, the user has to do to keep their account.  No comment as to whether sub-accounts can also be kept . . .   I'd like to kill my ATT DSL account, but also keep my sbcglobal primary and sub accounts.  I have this sneaking suspicion that this is possible, but there is more to it than just canceling my DSL and magically my emails will survive.  I'm sure somebody out there has done this successfully, and I'd love to hear what there method was?  Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

3 years ago

No, there is nothing more complicated to it than that.  You disco the account, return any equipment, and pay off the bill. The e-mails survive.  There is no user process to take to protect the e-mail accounts, other than to be absolutely sure you know the passwords for all of the e-mail address logins.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

JefferMC, thanks for the quick reply.  That seems simple enough then.  In your reply, I suspect 'disco' is 'disconnect' as in cancel?   
I think part of some of us user's confusion is there is old advice on this subject around various chains in these forums, and it involves things like going in to one's ATT profile and un-merging and even deleting one's ATT email accounts in the ATT email User Profile screens in order to KEEP one's email.  That just seems backwards . . . (see:  https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-email-security/keeping-sbcglobalnet-email-account-and-subaccount-after-cancelling-dsl-service/5defe3aabad5f2f606322dbf ).   
Thanks again. 

-R

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

3 years ago

That's an ancient thread that should probably be hidden from view.  If your e-mail address ends in "@yahoo.com", then it has nothing to do with AT&T at this point.  If your e-mail address ends in "sbcglobal.net" or "bellsouth.net", then it's an AT&T address.

The merged address fiasco was an ill advised boondoggle, and thankfully many years in the past.  Unless you took some action many, many years ago to "merge" a Yahoo and AT&T account, there is no reason to think it affects you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.