For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
vwgrrc's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 1:19 AM

Is "Internet 50" part of AT&T Fiber now??

Hi,

I signed up for the Internet 50 plan and the self-installation kit came in today. I was able to follow the instruction to get it up and running without issue. But I was confused by the plan. When I signed up online, all the descriptions made this sounds like a DSL (need to have a phone jack near the modem, etc.) and Fiber seems only available with 100 and 1000Mbps. However, everything in the instruction today seems treating this as an setup for fiber internet - connecting the ONT box, connecting the ONT Broadband port to an Internet jack (instead of phone jack). The DSL port on the modem (5268AC) was not used at all. I also did a speed test. The result shows very little latency and symmetrical up and down speed, which made me believe this is an fiber internet.

Does anyone has the same plan could verify this? Or am I missing something? Thanks!  

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Self install for a first time fiber installation?   They really sent you an ONT to install yourself (fiber into ONT, ONT ethernet connected to red ONT port on 5286ac)?  Hard to believe?  First time installs always require a tech to install as far as I know.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Forgot to mention - I had Fiber 1000 before but canceled later. The ONT box was set up at that time. This was the first thing that makes me think the Internet 50 is also Fiber. But why would AT&T do that? Providing Fiber Internet without advertising when you signed up?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Ahh, now that explains the ONT.  Thanks for clearing that up.

IMO you are signing up for a speed tier not its delivery method.  Att simply used your existing connection.  The speed tiers are shown in this chart.  The fiber chart shows symmetric fiber connections all the way down to Internet 5.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.